LT VS JMT and Wonderland

imported

Hi,

I did the John Muir Trail in 2007 and the Wonderland Trail in 2009. The JMT was just in reach for me…a huge but righteous challenge. It was by the end 200 miles. Has anyone done these two trails and can compare them in difficulty? I was thinking about doing the LT for the month of September. Thanks in advance!

niki

I have hiked all three, and the LT is by far the most challenging of the three. The LT from the southern terminus to Maine Junction is very similar in difficulty to the Wonderland, though the the uphills and downhills are a little steeper. Beyond Maine Junction to the north the trail becomes much more difficult. September is a very nice time to hike on the LT, but the shorter days can become a problem . . . especially on the northern section.

gforce

You should take a look at ‘Duct Tape’ website www.downthetrail.com. He did the LT from September 27th to October 21st 2007. He was southbound following the change of colours. He has beautiful pictures too !!

ricky-d and kids

Thanks…good to knpw that it is harder…also that with my significant slow hiking that has never gotten faster, September might not be a good plan…maybe August (I hate black flies)

niki

I would say the WT climbs are longer then LT and weathr more iffy on Wt too. We had a TON of rain on the Wt and some of the creek crossings can be a chore and not as well markd as the LT…luv them both tho for sure

yappy