May 12-June 10 hike in Vt./NH

imported

Next spring I need to finish the AT from the Mass/Vermont border to Franconia Notch in order to finish section hiking the AT for the second time. I finished my first section hike in my 60’s and now at 75 hope to finish it again in May-June of 2017, but have only a 3 week window to get this done, and I cannot cover the mileage that I could in my young years (my 60’s) so I need 3 weeks to finish that section. I worry about doing Vt. before Memorial Day which is the suggested date when the mud season ends. I did Conn., Mass. last year at that time and even with a late spring, we had only a touch of snow and temperatures were moderate. My start day at Williamstown will be May 14 and I’ll finish Vermont on the Sunday before Memorial Day. Has anyone had experience doing the AT portion of Vermont in mid-May? Assuming that there is not a huge snowfall in Vermont this winter and assuming that spring gets here more or less on schedule, is it possible to do that portion of the AT without undo difficulty with ice and mud? I could wait another year when I have more flexibility about my summer but at 75 I’d like to get this hike done…and then start on a 3rd AT hike in 2018 to finish in my 80’s or maybe not! I’d at least like to finish it a second time and this next spring would be possible for me. I would appreciate any helpful feedback.
Pastor John from Georgia

Pastor John

We did VT in May 2012. Remember annoying bugs more than mud. See our 2012 TJ.

Rocky & Swamp Fox

Last year I made most of your intended hike starting in mid May. Trail Shelter logs indicated 5-May…Deep Snow awful hiking. 10 May 90% clear trail, old packed snowdrifts at mountain peaks. 15 May when I Hiked it was clear and dry no mud and no bugs…perfect conditions. TrailJournal Frank the Tank 2015 tells about it.

Francis