mid-March start for NM section?

imported

I’m planning on hiking the New Mexico section in spring 2014. I’m wondering if early/mid-March might be too early to start for any reason? Are there any southern/central New Mexico where snow might be a problem? I don’t mind a little snow, just don’t want to be slogging through it for days. I just want to make sure I have enough time to get across NM before having to come home for a wedding in early May. Thanks!

Garrett

It really depends on the year. Check the snotel pages for snow levels next winter/spring. ftp://ftp.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/data/snow/update/nm.txt

Some years, there can be snow in the upper altitude portions of the Gila (I.e. the Black Range on the official route) until mid-April. If you take the river routes in the Gila, snowmelt can be a problem early in the spring.

Once you get past Grants, you’ll again be in higher altitude. Mt. Taylor can be snow covered until May. San Pedro Parks will likely have snow. You climb to 10,000’ there. We saw a little snow when we were there in May of a very very low snow year. The Carson NF can have snow until the end of May.

Ginny

I live in southern NM and agree with Ginny. The amount of snow varies. In most years you should be ok.

Do you need a hitch to the start? I may be available in March 2014. Let me know

Al

Thanks for the info. I’ve just gotten started planning and am super excited for this! Feeling like I did before my '05 PCT hike! I’ll be keeping an eye on the weather all winter.

Al - I just may need a ride to the border. I’ll keep you in mind. I’m not sure of my start date yet. I have two weddings that I cannot miss, one on May 4 and one yet to be determined (but probably June). When I find out when the second wedding is I’ll be able to set a start date. Thank you so much! I’ll let you know.

Garrett

There’ll be LOTS of snow in Cuba-Coyote (san pedro parks wilderness) section AND Ghost Ranch to Canjilon. Equally thru to Chama …in fact lots and lots there!

In fact…it’s on the ground in those sections into June.

danny