Most scenic 250-450mi section hike of CDT?

imported

I just finished 2 of the most scenic section hikes of the PCT, the John Muir Trail (JMT) 211 mi Southern Sierra’s and the Belden to Yosemite section 380 mi Northern Sierra’s, and now would like to do a JMT-like section of the CDT.

The question is: what is the JMT equivalent of the CDT?

This is what I’m looking for:

1. 250-450 mi total
  2. Continuous trail with minimal road walking
  3. High alpine scenery, big passes, alpine lakes, minimal forest walking, best views of the CDT

This is what I don’t care about:

1. Ease of logistics getting to/from trailheads
  2. Crowds or no crowds
  3. Trail condition (however there should be a trail)

Please include details such as start/end trailheads, total distance, features such as how many passes and elevations, trail condition, how hard navigation is, etc.

Thank you awesome CDT hikers!!!

-Stupidjak

Stupidjak

Cumbres Pass (Chama, NM) to Monarch Pass (Salida, CO) (~300 mi), Rawlins, WY to Togwotee Pass (Dubois, WY)(~450 mi), South Pass City, WY to Yosemite (~300+), MacDonald Pass (Helena, MT) to Canada (~350)

Sly

I like Sly’s first suggestion, but I would modify it slightly. Start at Wolf Creek Pass and continue on to Twin Lakes. The San Juans and the Collegiate West are incredible, you are up high most of the way. Just don’t try to go through too early.

Turtle Walking

I prefer Sly’s last suggestion: The Bob & GNP are definitely the WILDEST section of the CDT… Where else can you be eaten alive by Grizzlies or wolves???:slight_smile:

I’ve now walked thru Glacier 3X (CDT, PNT, & Logan Pass to Waterton to start my GDT hike this summer) & it is my favorite alpine hiking in North America - along with some section of the Great Divide Trail in Canada. There is a greater diversity of wildlife than anywhere else in thee ‘lower 48’ & the alpine scenery is unbeatable.

If you want even more of an adventure, hike from Rogers Pass (Lincoln, MT) on the CDT to Crowsnest Pass (Coleman, Alberta) on the GDT. The Section of the GDT from Waterton to Crowsnest pass has some spectacular scenery - especially La Coulotte Ridge on the backbone of the Continental Divide in Canada.

Happy trails!

freebird

Why not do the Colorado Trail. You get about 200 Beautiful CDT miles and easy to follow trail for the whole length.
It is just beyond your 450 mile upper limit but you could skip a few of the beginning sections near Denver to shorten the length without giving up much beauty.

Bob Bear

Thank you guys soooo much!

I am absolutely going to take your advice. My favorite option is to hop on the CDT at the NM/Colorado border above Chama. Then hike North until the Highway 70 junction, near Silverthorne, and exit to Denver. So covering the best parts of the Colorado trail and then some. ~450mi total.

Happy Trails!

Stupidjak