Mt Wrightstown in winter

imported

As a Tucson native, with some experience hiking in the younger times, and having done Baldy twice in the last 20 years, the last a full moon adventure, I’d like comment on a full winter snow assent. Has anyone done this? I am interested in all comments and thoughts, I KNOW it’s crazy, but snowshoes, clothing, gear and the adventure?

Empire 1

Almost reached the top during (snowy) March of 1997 via Old Baldy Trail. No snow below Josephine Saddle. Approach to Baldy Saddle didn’t require snowshoes, though my hiking partner kept insisting we should’ve been carrying ice axes rather than hiking poles. Actually the conditions weren’t particularly treacherous; much better than the freeze/thaw cycles of later in the season which create an icy runway in that stretch.

Ultimately we didn’t summit due to very deep snow around the cone and the labor of postholing. The trail up from the saddle wasn’t followable and I believe we tried a direct ascent through the forest. With much of that forest now burned away, the lay of the land (and potentially the depth of snowpack) could be easier to negotiate.

Conditions were fairly mild up high, as we chose a sunny day without wind. Which timeframe (Dec-Jan-Feb-March) is most challenging would depend on when the snow falls and how long it sticks around. Other factors can be controlled for.

blisterfree

I’ve been up there twice in winter. I’ve been in some of the fiercest wind i’ve experienced anywhere, but i haven’t come across these treacherous ice and snow conditions you speak of. There was one stretch from Josphine Saddle to Baldy Saddle that had some ice and was on a slope. It took some care, but i didn’t use more than just boots and trekking poles. The trail was always obvious even when under snow. I would just pack as you would for any winter day hike, with some warm layers, good boots, gaiters, and a good wind layer. You can get cell coverage on much of the mountain in case of an emergency. The springs may be frozen, so you probably should bring all your water, something around 2 liters or 3 at most.

I suppose conditions vary greatly year to year. My dates were January of 2010 and February of 2007.

markv

Let me know when you’re going…i could be up for going again this winter.

markv