MTR - John Muir Trail

imported

I will be hiking a section of the JMT the first week in august and on day three I will be going past Muir Trail Ranch. Then I have another 4-5 days to the end of my hike. I do not want to carry an entire weeks worth of food. My question is do you think it is possible to get two or three days of food from the hiker box at JMT? I heard that it usually is pretty well loaded with stuff folks have not picked up. I am trying to avoid the hassle and expense of mailing such a small amount of food to the MTR.

Big B

It depends on when. Between about July 10 and August 25 i think it’s very likely you could get that much food from the hiker box. Of course you have to be ok with the possibility that i’m wrong and there’s nothing.

If that happens, you might then hitch or walk out to Mono Hot Springs and round up 2-3 days of food from there instead. Some nice walking, trails, and hot springs, so it’s not like you’re doomed if MTR’s boxes don’t have enough for you. But y’know you’re rolling the dice to some extent. I like your odds.

markv

Thanks markv, I can carry enough food for my entire trip but it won’t all fit in the bear cannister so I was hoping to lighten it up some. How far and difficult is it to get to Mono Hot springs and can a car get up to MTR? My brother is vacationing in the area while I am hiking and it is possible for him to meet me there if it is drivable.

Big B

MTR’s road is private. You can contact them, but i don’t know of people driving there. Mono Hot Springs is a couple (maybe 3?) hours drive from Fresno, and is situated about halfway between VVR and MTR on-trail. The trails are not the JMT, but are simple enough with a map of the area.

markv