Multiple hikes - Career choices

imported

Curious…

Those of you who have hiked multiple times or multiple trails, what careers are you in?

My wanderlust has not ceased since 2004. The one thing that stops me is money.

Leki-Less '04

Been doing long distance hikes since 1987. That is my career choice.

Macon

I have a friend who spends the 6 months of Winter living in his mothers basement for almost free, he works 2 fast food jobs for about 50 or 60 hours per week and saves all he can. He quits every Spring and hits the trail. He also hikes as cheap as possible. Lacking a good marketable skill set drives him to the fast food jobs which are easy to get. He also lacks many material things like a car, electronics etc.
We have a standing bet about how long he can keep this going.

Francis

Self-employed General Contractor, now semi-retired.

bowlegs

Retired Government Worker. If you take good care of yourself and are patient many government jobs allow you to retire in your fifties or early sixties with 20 years of service with a decent pension. In the mean time generous vacation policy allows for one and two week trips every year.

Big B

Per Diem nurse, now semi-retired. Cheap lifestyle although I did just buy a new car.

Marti Andersen

Thirty year career as Naval Aviator, then twenty years as technical program manager made it easy to hike for two to three weeks at a time if planned properly. Now at 72 years old, the most important thing is maintaining an attitude and desire for adventure. And a realization that while staying in condition is relatively easy, when even minor injuries occur, the healing time is longer - and bad things usually happen if you push it.

And learn to live and accept the inevitable: I may be old, but I’m really slow.

Booger

1 Like

I am now a career hiker. However I had to wait until retirement at 65 & 8 months before I finally got to start the AT. Now, with my beautiful wife Rocky, we are either on a hike, cleaning up from a hike, a preparing for a long distance hike. 21 days until we leave on the next one.

Swamp Fox

Retired Government Law Enforcement. Retired at age 50 after 21 years of service. Money is never an issue. You can’t take it with you.

Ned

1 Like

rental properties, ceo of private charitable foundation, and parttime attorney with patient clients since starting long distance hiking 11 years ago

floater

I hike. I work 3-4 months, live on the super cheap, then I’m out. I am a mechanic and wielder by trade.

Timerich

I come from China, is engaged in construction related work. Like hiking because weight loss program for two years ago. China does not have a long trail.My Children are studying in school, When he was admitted to the university.I wish I can go to complete the PCT or AT trail? I’m trying to cram English, learn English 20 years ago, basic forget now.hope noe too late.

Stubborn stone

I am a taxi driver and live cheaply. I make what money I need and get ready for hiking. I do not worry much about not having things, for they weigh you down. Courage, patience and strength as you travel! My Chinese is non-existent, so have satisfaction with your English and continue to learn. Tell us more of your trip through life…

I am a Hiker

When I hiked the AT, I owned a retail shop. I decided to sell it while on that hike. I now sell real estate and I can take off when I want. Jan and Feb are slow months, so I plan to hike the FL trail next year,