New mapset - Arizona Trail

imported

I have the new map set also, but have the AZT waypoints and tracks downloaded to my GPS as well–I found that wapoints came in handy on the PCT when I wanted to know my exact location–I could see exactly where I was in relation to the map waypoints to gauge distance to water sources,camps, etc. It took any guess work out of the process. I also printed out 1:24,000 maps with the AZT waypoints and track on them that I will use for my primary navigation tool–the GPS supports using those.

Fireweed

Just to clarify, you can do the same thing using the new mapset resources. The vast majority of the official AZT waypoints that are tied to meaningful points-of-interest (POI’s) are what appear on the maps. You just need to cross-reference via the data book in order to relate these plain-English data points to the numerical GPS names used in the ATA GPS files.

For example, on map 2: “Bathtub Spring (w 2-3)”. If you want to determine where you are in relation to this POI, find its entry on the included databook, then scroll across that row to the heading “ATA Wpt,” which in this case is “01-083”. This is the numerical name of the waypoint as it appears in the official ATA GPS data file for passage 1. If you’ve downloaded the official waypoints to your GPS unit, just find “01-083” in the unit’s list of saved waypoints, and run a “go to” on that waypoint. The result will be your current distance and direction from Bathtub Spring.

Of course the ATA GPS data files contain many more waypoints than are included on the mapset and databook, but the ones that aren’t included are mostly empty beacons, so to speak, not tied to any meaningful location along the trail that you’d actively navigate toward by GPS.

Some of the POI’s on the CD mapset don’t correspond to official ATA waypoints. In such cases, the ATA Wpt field is left blank. However, all POI’s in the data book also show explicit GPS lat/lon coordinates, so even those that you haven’t downloaded in advance to your GPS unit can be navigated toward by manually entering the coordinates and again running a go-to.

blisterfree

Thanks for the info. I have all the waypoints downloaded as POI’s. I have the POI’s and the AZT track plotted on a hard copy 1:24,000 map that I have printed out. Since I can see where the POI’s are on a map, I can get an instantaneous location of my position from the GPS and see where I am in relation to the next POI, regardless of what the POI verbal description is–no cross referencing to the data book needed–although I will carry a copy of it.

Fireweed

I downloaded the waypoints and track from the AZT website and overlaid the track and waypoints on Terrain Navigator topo maps, which I have printed out on my own. Guess I didn’t anticipate someone doing all the work for me.

Fireweed