New Mexico in 3 weeks

imported

I have 3 weeks to hike some of the CDT in New Mexico. We will definatley hike the Gila route and I planned to spend two weeks hiking that route. My son wants to hike for a week somewhere between the border and Silver City.We will each have our own cars, we usually hike about 15+ miles a day, we have Jerrys map and coordinates and have used these to hike the CDT in years past.We want to do the official route. Does anyone have any ideas what sections would be the best to do in 8 days?

susie burns

When we hiked in 2006, it took us 9 days, including a night in Lordsburg, to go from the border to Silver city. We started out slowly - with some 10-15 mile days. So you really should be able to do that stretch in 8. Three weeks got us from the border to Pie Town. See http://spiriteaglehome.com/cdt06_nm1.html We didn’t take the official route through the Gila, but the Ley route past the hot springs. In spring, the official route may be very dry along the crest.

ginny

If you’re not stuck on CDT you might try hiking in Sngre de Cristo Mtns near Sante Fe.

Dave