Newbie Recommendation

imported

Hi, looking for a good recommendation on where to start AT for a newbie. I am 50 and want to start section hiking. I am planning on a 4 to 5 day hike next year and would like some input. I have heard Harpers Ferry and Maryland are good starting points. Any suggestions?

Amanda

Hi! Amanda, Both of these areas are good for “cutting your teeth on”, in either direction.
Another thing I might suggest, if you’re interested, I’m planning on having some “Shake Down” hikes, through out 2017 for the Class of 2018 Thru-Hikers.
I’ll be posting dates and places, under 2018: Gorp-Gobbler.
Good way to see how your equipment will work for you, do some conditioning, and maybe pick-up some ideas from other hikers.
Hope this helps.

Gorp-Gobbler

Thanks. Any recommendations on where to go in the AT in Maryland? I am currently in Ohio, I like the idea of shake down hikes. I will look for that thread.

Amanda

From the W Va/Md. state line to the Md./Pa. state line, you only have about 54 miles of trail, so if you’re going for 4 to 5 days, leaving Harpers Ferry, you should get a little way up into Pa, say South Mountain, Pa.
This of course depends on your daily mileage.
I’m in Grove City,Ohio.

Gorp-Gobbler

I have been checking it out, I think Harpers Ferry to Pen Mar Road looks good, but not sure. What are your thoughts. Back Packing website says it is 40.5 miles. I am in Marysville ohio

Amanda

From Shenandoah Street in Harpers Ferry, it’s 41 miles to the state line, according to ATC Data Book, then another tenth of a mile to Pen Mar Road.
Another option that might be more enjoyable, is hiking south from Harpers Ferry and going through Shenandoah National Park. Here you’ll find some nice graded trails, and will cross over or under the Skyline Drive several times.
Feel free to email me.

Gorp-Gobbler

I live in Maryland, and my husband and I have hiked every inch of the AT from ten miles south of Harper’s Ferry to about fifteen miles north of the PA state line many times. We are out there every weekend trying to get into shape for our 2017 Thru hike. The trail in this area varies from fairly easy and flat to rocky and steep, depending on where you are. Exactly what do you need to know?

Gail