NM trail closures

imported

I just hiked from Ghost Ranch to Cuba (staying tonight at Del Prado Motel and getting great deal & service).

And it appears that I just walked thru a closed Santa Fe National Forest - per the SFNF website. I don’t know how I could have known, as the closure note at Ghost Bridge seemed to apply to cars wanting to enter that “closed area” and there was no notice where the CDT crosses Rt 96.

But anyway FWIW the CDT from Ghost Ranch to Cuba seems to be within a closed area.

Had I known in time maybe I could have obtined an exemption letter ( as mentioned on the SFNF announcement). I camp without matches or fire and I think (not sure) the forest service is more concerned with me starting a fire than getting stuck in one.

But anyway hikers coming south seem to have not just south CO closures to worry about.

Mike

With the onset of monsoon season, the forest-wide SFNF closure order will most likely be lifted in the coming weeks, although areas within the forest that are currently affected by fires might remain closed for a while. Land managers in NM have been exceptionally cautious this year, given a very dry spring and some large fires near developed areas within the past month. None of these fires are on or particularly near the CDT in New Mexico, to my knowledge.

blisterfree

… with the exception of the Silver Fire in the Gila National Forest, which has closed portions of the official CDT in the Black Range. Most of the Gila remains open at this time, however.

blisterfree