Nobo or sobo for section hiking

imported

I live in Utah and am going to Georgia in May to visit family and section hike the Georgia portion of the AT while I’m there. In planning, I’m wondering what is the better option, going nobo or sobo. I’m planning on 7 days but hoping to complete it in 5 or 6. My goal is to complete the Georgia section and not so much to just “enjoy time away from civilization” or “learn about myself” lol… I’m also wondering if anyone has any advice on water sources, trail conditions and points to camp along the way. I do a lot of backpacking, both solo and with groups, here in Utah as well as other outdoor activities but have never backpacked, or really hiked, down south and most trip reports I read about Georgia are of people talking about how difficult it is. Any info and/or advice would be awesome!!! Thank y’all so much!

southern.porkchop

I would go North, it’s safer to leave a car parked at the Southern end than the Northern end of your hike. Your most likely egress point will be Deep Gap NC. Although they don’t have problems there, it’s a remote place 6 miles up a dirt road. In May there will be no water issues. It will be everywhere listed in the guide and on the map…and then some. Trail conditions will depend on weather. We have this thing called “Blackberry Winter”. It’s the late Winter storm that covers all the white blackberry flowers. It happens every couple of years. So be ready for some cold nights. I like May because of the abundance of firewood. You can camp all along this section of trail. Many people like to camp within shouting distance of the shelters. The hiking difficulty is greatly “over stated”. You will climb some, and descend some, all day long. In comparison to other trails or other parts of the AT it’s fairly easy. 90 year olds and 4 year olds have hiked this trail and lived.

Francis

Southern Porkchop - are you looking for a hiking partner?

Ben

N o b o or Sobo really up to the individual. Depending on what time of year also comes into play. Personally I live in PA so I do southbound first then bounce back once that’s finished and go northbound until I eventually complete the whole Trail .Only have one month a year to do it, and sometimes not that depending on obligations. I found a lot of water sources on the trail that were not marked in the Appalachian Trail book which gives you all the information you need. And with all precipitation we’ve had on the East Coast this year water should not be an issue. As long as you have a good filtration device obviously. have a great hike. PS watch out for the snakes I know last year Georgia had a major issue with them.