North or South sections for 3 weeks

imported

I am planning a few weeks this May on the AZT. If you could only hike a few weeks on the trail, would you recommend starting at the Utah or Mexico border? Both seem to have their benefits. Obviously the Grand Canyon is a big part of the Northern half, but it seems like the Southern has some great desert terrain the might be more of what should be experienced on this trail. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Prometheus

Water sources are more common in the south but GCNP is a must see. I did Mexico to Flagstaff one year and Flagstaff to Utah the following year. Flip a coin.

bowlegs

You will be very surprised at how much of the AZT, north or south, is in high mountains. Plenty of desert as well. The first passage headed north from Mexico goes over 9000’, which is 800’ higher than the North Rim. I thought the southern half of the trail was more interesting than the north and certainly a lot more solitude. GCNP is a bit of a circus, but May would get you through before the hordes arrive if you were SOBO from Utah.

Bearcreek