Official route change

imported

I have the 2011 bear creek map book for NM.(awesome maps ) . did the official route change for 2012 such that the trail does not go through pie town?

miles

It did, but it still passes through Pietown. Old route followed roads from Tularosa Canyon (NM 12)to Pietown. New trail was opened in 2013 that goes straight to Omega, which is between Quemado and Pietown on Hwy 60. Plans call for new trail to be constructed parallel to the highway from Omega to Pietown, so the route now includes a roadwalk east along Hwy 60. From Pietown, new trail will eventually follow the divide north to the Malpais. Last year’s Mapbook detailed the new route to Hwy 60, and this year’s edition will include walking the highway from Omega to Pietown. Taking the new route is a bit longer than the old roadwalk, but it is a really nice hike on mostly new trail until you reach Hwy 60. There is also some new trail built south of Hwy 12 that goes between the dry lakes shown on map 48. It is easy to find heading north, (Waypoint 15_177XR) but not so easy heading south. SOBO hikers should head south through an obscure gate at waypoint 15_21.1GT. Continue southwest a few hundred feet from the gate through open meadow to hit built trail. I flagged it recently, but that may not last. It is shown in the 2014 Waypoint files which are available now at www.bearcreeksurvey.com. The 2014 NM Mapbook is also now published, but we have not received a final proof yet. I would suggest waiting a few more days before buying it. I will announce here and on the other forums when it is good to go.

bearcreek

Thanks for the info. I will buy the 2014 map book when it is good to go. Bear creek maps are the best I have seen. thanks!!

miles

+1 on the BC maps. I did the southern half of the trail last summer and the BC maps plus GPS data worked really well.

I am excited about the new book of alternate hikes. I plan to do a couple of them when I resume my hike this summer in Colorado. (Heading north from Steamboat in late June)

tradestar