Pack Question - Appalachian Trail

imported

Buying a new pack for a rapidly growing teen. I’ve settled on the Osprey Volt due to said rapidly growing teen. Question: If he’s only going to have one pack for use as short as a week, or as long as a potential through hike, would you pick the 60 or 75? Weight difference is only 3oz. Thanks!

Yorick

I have a 65 for the A T thru hike and am starting out with seven days of food…using every bit space to haul 37 lbs. (15 of it is food). Therefore my option would be the larger of the two.??

Dave Wheeler

I would pick the 60. It will fit better on a growing teen and not encourage over loading.

Francis

I work with scouts and hike on a regular basis. When I am with the scout I use an Osprey Aether 70. I have to carry larger amounts of gear, which is large in size and weight. Thru hikers and ultra light hikers would not carry such gear. When I hike alone, I use an Osprey Exos 58. The gear for these hikes is much smaller and lighter. I would recommend you consider the type of hiking you will encounter. It is nice to have a large pack when you have lots of gear or extra food/water. I find a pack with extra room will just get filled with junk or rocks via other hikers. I would recommend you take his gear to a store and see which pack fits the gear best. At this time you can try the packs on and check them for a fit. You need to make sure the pack is the right size for his body. Make sure you have an experienced person help you with the fitting. We find most boys will require 2 to 3 different packs while they grow.

Warren Lewis

I agree with Francis. Your son will find himself filling every cubic inch of his pack. A smaller pack ensures lighter loads. Lighter loads ensure a better backpacking experience.
Push

Push

All: Thank you for the advice. I think that I’m probably going to pare him down to a 60L - by the time he thinks he wants a bigger pack, he can buy it himself.

Yorick

You can purchase a Sixmoonsdesign Fusion 65L pack right now for 50% off on their site. Geat pack, its what I use now and have never wore a more comfortable pack in my 21yrs of backpacking. The shoulder harness can be adjusted to small, md, or large. Check it out.

Lumber

Fusion 65L is no longe 1/2 price but their 50L Fusions are 50% off.

Lumber

I would recommend gathering together all of the items he is bringing, then go to the store with those items. See how they fit in each pack. That will be the true test of the size he needs and will let him know which pack will carry more comfortably. Three ounces isn’t much more to carry but 15L of extra stuff will add up to much more weight.

Cheri

I would get him the larger size…He will learn not to carry the kitchen sink on his own but the extra space gives him room to explore his own method for packing his stuff…and as a growing young man, perhaps some of his companions gear also if need be.

Vernon