PCT Rainier connection

imported

Kicking around Manning PP to Mt Rainier and perhaps include a climb. I can’t seem to find where or even if the trail systems connect. Anyone willing to point me in the right direction? Thanx.

MT

Mastertangler

The PCT skirts Mt. Rainier NP on its east side. You’d have to hitch of do a roadwalk to get to White River Ranger Station to get a climbing permit.

Rainier is a technical climb - would you mail your gear ahead?

Paddlefoot

I worked for park service for some 3 years back in the day and have been to Muir numerous times. I would hook up with RMI and rent whatever I need and let them worry about permits. I thought the PCT scooted along somewhere but I wasn’t sure. Paddle Woodland Caribou Provincial park or hike the PCT…decisions, decisions. Thanks Paddlefoot.

Mastertangler

Didn’t know you were experienced with the park. I was an LE seasonal ranger for three seasons there in the late 90s!.

Just visited with my family. Beautiful as ever.

The PCT crosses on Hwy 410 just above Tipsoo Lake. PCT is a beautiful trail, but it sort of surprises me that it pretty much skips this gem of a park. I suppose there are plenty of views of the “Big One” from the Goat Rocks, though.

Paddlefoot

Just like the PCT skips San Gorgonio, Mt. Baldy, Whitney, the big trees of Sequoia, Yosemite Valley and Half Dome, most of the interesting areas of Lassen NP, etc etc.

Besides staying high on the crest and being navigable by horses, the PCT endeavored to avoid “high use” areas. That’s why Rainier NP is just skirted. That’s not to say you couldn’t get creative and come up with an alternate route that brought you right through the interesting parts of the park. I wish i had specific ideas, but get some maps and get creative. Then let us know how it goes…good luck! :cheers

markv