Pen Mar Park - Two Questions

imported

Hi, I have two questions. I am looking to do my annual hike this May and looking to hike from Front Royal in Virginia to Pen Mar Park in Maryland. I wanted to know what options are available at Pen Mar Park for overnight parking, approximately a week? Second item, I am trying to find a shuttle driver for that area, please feel free to provide a name or two of a good reliable driver. Looking to park at Pen Mar, and shuttle to Front Royal and hike north back to my vehicle.

Thanks

Hiker Guy

It’s been a while since I section hiked over there, so I can’t say anything about parking at Pen Mar.
You could contact ATC, and they would know the shuttle drivers up there. They may even know about parking at Pen Mar.

Gorp Gobbler

About 18 months ago we hiked from Harpers Ferry to Pen Mar. Contact the Washington County Dept of Parks at 240 313 2700 and ask for a parking permit for Pen Mar Park. When I called, a very helpful lady sent me by mail a dashboard permit. You do need to know your dates. The police keep tabs on your car. The parking is in a lot immediately across the street from the park entrance, which is locked overnight. Do not park inside the gate.

We met a hiker who found someone in Harpers Ferry to shuttle him north to Pen mar for a dollar a mile - less than $50 total, which seemed to me to be a good deal. From Front Royal, I don’t have any other info. As noted above the ACT in Harpers Ferry may be helpful with that. Good hiking!

Bryan

Bryan MacKay

I have parked at Pen Mar for multiple nights without issue. For a shuttle reach out to Glenn at Bears Den Hostel. I know he gives rides in the area and he may have others to call if he isn’t available.

Dan Matheny

Thanks for the responses. Looking at Memorial Week, so there will be thru hikers in the area, most likely, but hopefully should be able to use all the information provided.

Thanks again.

Hiker Guy