Planning Campo to Mt. Laguna

imported

Hello! A group of 4 of us are planning on 3 nights, 4 days trip from campo to MT. Laguna in January. We are new to backpacking and wanted to take it easy. The plan was to spend our first night at Hauser Creek. Hike to Boulder oaks CG for night 2. Night 3 end up around long canyon (mile 36ish) and arrive the next day in mt. Laguna

Does this seem like a good plan? Realistic? Concerns? Haha. Thanks!!

Lauren H.

Hey Lauren -
Sounds like a good plan with a relaxed pace. I’ve hiked that section four times, but never in January. You might have some snow on Mt. Laguna, but it probably won’t be too deep (just call ahead to make sure). If you have flexible dates for the trip, you could possibly avoid any rough weather that might be rolling thru…

Happy Trails,
~freebird

freebird

Sounds like a fun trip. Those are some easy breezy miles, so if i were you i’d have a backup plan for if you end up going way faster than you anticipate. If you’re feeling good and having fun, it’s nice to do the few miles past Mt. Laguna, and then either double back or hitch on the road back to Laguna. Some nice views on those extra miles.

markv

I agree with Markv (hey Mark!) - the 10 miles past Mt. Laguna to Pioneer Mail Picnic Area (right near Sunrise Hwy) are some of the most scenic on the entire PCT… You could fairly easily hike from Campo to Pioneer Mail (51 miles) in four days - most of the terrain in fairly easy, even the climb up Laguna. Garnet Peak (@ mile #49) is an AWESOME summit with panoramic 360’ views.

Happy Trails!

freebird