Planning - The Colorado Trail

imported

Hi everyone. I’ve been section hiking the A.T. for a few years. My dream was to thru hike it, but I have 3 young children. There is no way I can leave them for 5 to 6 months, or my job! So I’ve been researching shorter long distance trails. The Colorado Trail is high on my list. I have family and friends in the Denver area to offer me support. My husband gave me his blessing and my work already approved a 6 week leave of absence, and I will be planning my thru hike in 2017.

So I would like to hear from others who have thru hiked this trail. How long did it take you? When did you start and finish? I read that July to August is a good time to start your hike.

Thank you in advance.
Kelly

Kelly

Took me 30 days with a zero day in Creede. Started July 5. Decide early if you want to hike in thunderstorms (daily) or start hiking at 4AM and be done for the day at noon.

bowlegs

I did about half of the CT in 14 days. I hiked in July and yes you have to plan for the thunder storms that take place every afternoon. I was able to camp fairly high up just about every night so I could do all the above tree line hiking in the AM then hike through the thunderstorms when I was down lower.

I also did the JMT in 21 days which I found a much more enjoyable hike.

Big B

My 22 year old son and I thru hiked in 2014. We started June 28 and finished Aug 5. We took a 0 day in Breckenridge and 4 days off in Salida to let an injury heal. We hiked short days in and out of Fairplay, Breckenridge, Lake City and Silverton. It rained every day after the first week. Snow was a minor hassle near Breckenridge. I will hike the CT again.

Chuck H