Prescriptions on the AT

I currently have prescriptions with monthly refills. I fill them at a local family run pharmacy. If I switch the refills to Walgreens (or other national chain), will I find a Walgreens or other, reasonably close to the trail every 30 days? My other option is to have a family member pick them up at the local pharmacy and mail them to me at mail drops. What works for others?

TwoLastNames,

I think either way would work well. If you go with the National Chain, get a rough idea of your itinerary and where you plan on resupplying, then go on what ever pharmacy’s site you are using and do a “Store Location” to see if there’s one in your resupply town. Then again it might be simpler just to have your family send you a “Goody Box” every 30 days with your prescriptions in it. I’m sure you won’t mind getting a box of goodies while on the trail, it’s a sure-fire way to make a lot of friends once they find out you’re getting them, lol. Hope this helps.

Yes, it helps a lot. I’m the cook in the family :cookie: so I’ll have to show them a few things before I leave. Mail drops is probably the right answer.

I attempted a thru hike this year and got almost to New York and left the trail with an injury. I used Walgreens and it worked fine but there are some things to think about. In Franklin I was able to get to the pharmacy just using the town shuttle. In Damascus, I had to go to another city (can’t remember which) but the guy I go the room from was going there and took me there and back for free. In Waynesboro, I had to go to Charlottsvill (I think) and it cost $60.00 for the shuttle guy at Stanimal’ to drive me there. At Delaware Water Gap I had to see a Doctor in another town and there happened to be a Walgreens there, or I might have had to pay a significant amount to get to a Walgreens. Bottom line, if I did it again I would probably have my wife send it to me from the home Walgreens. I know you can hitchhike to almost anywhere along the trail but that shot I needed every 30 days became inconvenient (and possibly costly). I’d go with the mail drop and get some other goodies sent while they are at it.

1 Like

I get mine in a three month amount, divided and mailed them to myself every month. At the halfway point my husband would pick up the next 3 months and repeat the process.

1 Like

Your family doctor can also call in refills to whatever the closest pharmacy is. Even though your doctor may not be licensed in a particular state, most pharmacies will accept an out of state prescription. The one exception to this is for scheduled medications such as narcotics, tranquilizers and stimulants. Just give your doctor’s office staff a few days notice to ensure the prescription gets there before you. If your insurance has issues with out of network pharmacies, this may cost more. Also, never send medications which have to be refrigerated through the regular mail.

1 Like

I spoke to my pharmacist about my drugs: she indicated I can get my 8 month supply all at one time so I can divey them up in my drop boxes. That’s Walgrens.