Question Service dog on trail

Hello,
I haven’t been on this site since 2005 when I hiked the A.T. Anyways, I am planning another thru-hike in year 2020, but this time with my legitimate service dog. Not an Emotional support dog and not a therapy dog either, a service dog. I am a disabled veteran with PTSD and legal blindness. I know the ADA laws, but I can still get hassled when I am traveling with him. Even though it is illegal to denied services/rooms etc… because of Hondo (my service dog’s name), I still try to avoid these confrontational situations as it can really trigger my PTSD. I’d rather just not be where I Hondo and I are not welcomed. This post isn’t about my concern about etiquette while in the woods wit him. I will be avoiding crowed shelters, having him on leash at all times, mostly staying in a tent, etc… My concern is coming into town and getting hassled by hostels and local services. Has anyone hiked with a service dog before? or any dog and what type of issues arose? I was thinking of writting a letter to some of the business ahead of time that I plan on staying at and asking if it will be a problem fro them. There is nothing like getting to a town while being tired and hungry and not having a comfy place to stay to do “town business”

IF interested: Hondo was trained by Southeastern Guide Dogs in FL for 2 years before I flew down to meet him and train with him for 12 days on their campus before bring him home. I didn’t name him. One of the ways the organization raises money is that people donate $5K to name a dog. So, he is named after a donors favorite John Wayne movie.

Maybe a Service Dog Vest would help? I have seen those on trails where dogs are not usually allowed.

I backpack with my dogs but these are short trips where I have not had to deal with resupply. Your plan to writing/emailing ahead sounds good. Hope you both have a great trip!

Hello, I don’t have any info about your dog and the AT. But I did want to share about a recent incident I had while traveling. My parents are blind and have had guide dogs most my life. I was in Santa Rosa New Mexico recently and I can’t remember how this started but the fellow running the RV park was bragging about being exempt from ADA and would never let a dog of any sort in. I was shocked and challenged his position a little. He railed about an exemption process etc. I left and went elsewhere and I did not investigate this at all. Just a cautionary tail of an asshole. I really hope you do not have difficulties and second notifying ahead where you can. A second suggestion is I found a facebook page for through hiking the Colorado Trail. It was way more useful than anything here. People updated water regularly, hikers requested trail angel assistance, everything you could think of. I started following it in June and by September I had the confidence and all the info I needed to do my first solo backpack on the Colorado Trail. Just 4 days but still. If there is an AT foundation perhaps they would be a good place for more info. CT Foundation surely is. Best wishes.