Recs for SoCal in Feb?

imported

My brother and I are sectional hikers from the Seattle area and have completed the PCT north of Kennedy Meadows and last August we also did the stretch from Cajon pass to San Francisquito Canyon Road (which is north of Agua Dulce), our first taste of pseuo-desert hiking. We hope to have 10 days in mid-February and are looking for recommendations for hiking those parts of the PCT in S Calif that we should avoid when we return in June. We would have vehicle support so we could do separated sections and can do both slack packing or carry for multiple overnights. Which parts of the trail would you recommend?

Slacker 1

Congratulations so far. California has gotten snow this year, so unless you’re looking for a major extra challenge, you’ll want to avoid the high parts of the San Bernadinos and San Jacinto. Especially San Jacinto can be difficult or even dangerous with snow. People can get lost up there, fall, die, etc.

The first 150 miles from Mexico to the Pines to Palms Hwy. would make the most sense. It’ll be cold at night and you may get a squall on Mt. Laguna, but i did that in January and it was pretty nice. The other longer lower elevation part is from San Francisquito Canyon north to Tehachapi Pass Hwy 50something. That’s about 100 miles, with several places to jump on or off. This is usually the windiest section of the trail, but i don’t know if it’s better or worse in winter.

markv

Ditto to what Markv says. Save San Jacinto for June when most or all of the snow is gone. That’s Warner Springs to West Palm Springs.

bowlegs