Rendezvous Motel in Pearisburg

imported

Just a note to let hikers know that the Rendezvous Motel in Pearisburg has burned down. My recommendation would be the Plaza Motel near the Dairy Queen.

Signage

Signage, I am really sorry to hear this… I stayed there last October, while finishing up my last section in Virginia. It was a great place to stay… When did this happen?

MIlkbone

What a shame… the Rendezvous Motel was a fixture on the AT for many year. Brenda & her (ex)husband Buck owned the hotel for many years, before Buck too off (‘The Buck no longer stops here’ as Brenda put it).

I stayed in the Rendezvous four times over the years ('96,'01,'04,'06) & was always impressed by Brenda’s hospitality. She’s a rare example on the AT where a business owner is a real trail angel - not just for AT hikers, but for the local community as well.

The last time I stayed @ the Rendezvous, I kept noticing tons of local teenagers pulling up to talk with Brenda. I asked Brenda what was going on. It turns out these were all ‘at risk’ kids mostly from broken homes that Brenda had taken under her wing as a kind of surrogate mom. She told me “They’re all my children.” What an amazing person. Thank God that she was uninjured in the fire.

freebird

Yes it is really sad. It just happened today or yesterday I think. Saw it on the local news tonight. They did a nice story about how the owners helped out AT hikers. I stayed there on my thru in 07 and again on my section hike in 09. They were always so helpful.

Signagei

There are some good people along the Trail, who go above and beyond. When Rocky & I came into Pearisburg in May 2005, we intented to stay at the Rendezvous. However, she was booked up. Rather than tell us No Vacency, Go Somewhere Else, she called the Plaza to determine if they had space. Then she drove us there, rather than make us walk up that long hil. That’s above and beyond.

swamp fox

One of the articles stated that it took 12 hours to put out the flames.

Canoeman

12 hours?! I believe the Great Chicago fire was contained in less time.

Perhaps the motel could be rebuilt in 12 hours by a dedicated team of present and alumni thru-hikers.

tron