Richloam Loop Trail, FL

imported

Does anyone have any info on this trail? I was thinking about hiking it this weekend. I went to the FT website and they gave very little info and an unuseable map. The info I did gather is the trail can be accessed at a trailhead by the Richloam fire tower and the trail consists of loops of 10, 12, 14 and 26 miles. Any info on water availability and where a useable map can be obtained would be greatly appreciated.

Rooster

I did the northern loop a couple weeks ago and the southern loop about a week ago. The northern end just had a burn last week, but the southern loop was okay. Just expect to get your feet wet. :slight_smile:

There are maps at the trailhead parking half a mile south of RT50.

There’s water, but I would think you might want to pump it, but it’s such a short trail that I just carried a couple liters and was fine.

Stumpknocker

Thanks for the info Stumpknocker. Have you ever parked by the Richloam firetower? I am coming from Savannah,GA and trying to get as much info as I can. I plan on doing the 26 mile loop over the weekend.

Newton

Yes…good parking at the fire tower about a half mile south on Richloam Clay Sink Rd off HWY 50. There’s a kiosk there and forest service building and vehicles. I would consider it a safe place to park for a couple days.

The map I got from the kiosk is actually a pretty good map showing any limerock roads you’ll cross along with mileages between key points. I also see three official tentsites listed on the map.

There were a few spots I remember thinking would make excellent tentsites. One looking out over a pond and another looking out over a large wet grassland. There were many flat spots, but those two would have nice views.
:slight_smile:

Stumpknocker

I’ve been able to find some good maps on the linear trail that links to this one (Green Swamp West Tract), but thus far the loop information has escaped me. Glad to know I can get a map of it at the trailhead. Wondering if I need a reservation to camp there, and if so, how? Not even sure what the campsites are called.
Thanks for any help.

Crow Strider