Ride from boston

imported
transportation

Just lost my ride. Anyone heading to trail (north or south end) around July 4th?

CicelyB

I am heading to Baxter on June 30th right after work from Manchester NH. I could use the company if you can make it up to Manchester. Concord Coach leaves from South Station to Concord NH (for $28 round trip) just about hourly. I could pick you up in Concord after 5 PM if that works for you.

Big B

Thanks for the offer Big B. Think I will take the bus from Boston to Williamstown (via 3 stops) and take the access trail from there. Probably head out July 3rd or 4th

CicelyB

You can take Amtrak from Boston Back Bay station to Pittsfield, MA direct. It’s the 449 Lake Shore Limited. Leaves Boston at 12 pm, arrives Pittsfield at 3:36 pm. Cost is $29. I could shuttle you from Pittsfield to the trail in W-town/North Adams for a nominal fee to cover gas.

Embagel

Thanks everyone. Have several options now and my original ride may pan out. so next question - once at the north end, plan to hitch back to Burlington to get a bus ride back to Boston, but open to other offers/suggestions. Presume will finish around July 29th.

Cicelyb

If you are lucky will meet someone who will leave at the North End at the same time you do. If not, you can try to get a shuttle (you could confirm from Jay Peak - which I believe has pay phones and definitely has electricity and cell coverage). There are shuttle offers in the Long Trail forum of whiteblaze.net and there is some info on longtrailhiking.info.

If you hitch, you will likely be walking a ways. Options would be to turn around at the border and hike the 2.6 miles back to Route 105. Going out Journey’s End trail (.7 miles) and Journey’s End Road (1.2) miles you could luck out and meet someone at the trail head. I think this is highly unlikely. After those 1.9 miles, I would walk while hitching to Route 105 on North Jay Road. You can reach 105 by walking about two more miles south or about 2.8 miles north and then east. My guess is the northern route might work best as it will bring you into the traffic flow from the border. As I remember from my rides to and from the Northern terminus, traffic is still fairly sparse on 105, but improves somewhat.

pedxing