Shakedown - The Long Trail - Vermont

imported

what more can I get rid of! Do I really need tent stakes? towelor air dry? wipes or washcloth?
Are there things that you brought thru-hiking and never used or don’t recommend bring?

JAQ

I looked all over trail journals for your gear list, but I cannot find it. Soooooo, I have no idea what you can ditch. If you don’t really need gear, then you don’t “really” need gear. I hope that makes sense. I never used my first aid kit. I don’t recommend bringing a stove on a summer hike.

space monkey

Be careful of not bringing some things just because you do not use them often. I am thinking of a small basic first aid kit. Hopefully you will never need it but when you do you had better have it. I do bring a very minimal kit though. Also if you can get multiple uses out of gear it helps. For example I carry two bandanas. They double as towels, pot holders, water strainers, first aid bandage, face clothes and many other uses. My rain jacket is also my wind breaker. The category of gear that I see most people over pack is clothes. You will find that you need very few clothing items. You can wear the same clothes every day.

Big B

Post your list if you want more specific feedback. In general,look for duplication - can you use the tent stakes to dig a cat hole? If you have hiking poles and aren’t using them for you shelter, can you use them to replace a couple f the tent stakes.

Like space monkey, I don’t cook on summer backpacks - this saves a lot of weight and hassle.

Ped Xing

I am ditching my tent. I am looking at hammock sleeping… what are your experiences with hammocks? I plan on using a light tarp for rain protection and a bug net. I got my base weight down to 16 lbs. with food water and fuel add brings it the 34 lbs. A hammock and tarp would only add 1.5 lbs. to my pack. thoughts?

JAQ

I used the Hennessey Hammock ultralight Asym for 3 LT E2E hikes and had really good experiences with it. It takes more work and patience (most tents are almost idiot proof) but not a lot more. It has tarp and an integrated bug net. It makes a decent bivy when there are no trees, and can be strung comfortably between trees when there is no decent spot on the ground for a tent.

I can’t think of any stretch of the LT where I would have needed 18 pounds of food water and fuel - that may be a place where you can get some weight savings.

Ped Xing

my Water bladder is 6 lbs. food: Breakfast, snacks, dinner, and drink stuff(tea, instant coffee, powder mix)That would be about 1.7 lbs of food for a day, for 7 days. My husband will resupply me on the weekends. I guess if I wanted I could go without snacks, but I am already cutting out Lunch.

I also may not need to carry a whole bladder of water because I have a Sawyer Squeeze water filter. I would need to wait 30 minutes to treat cold water with Aquamira.

I went with the Grand Trunk Double parachute Hammock and just finished making my Ripstop nylon tarp. super light! I have treated it with silicone and it is now 100% waterproof!

I love the hammock! I am so comfortable being up off the ground.

With 9 more days until I hit the trail and am preparing for the mud! It looks like we are going to have rainy days for the next week!

JAQ

Have a great hike! The hammock set up sound great.
Unless the trail is really dry, you’ll get by with drinking a liter of water and carrying a liter - possibly two liters needed for Ellen and Abraham if it hasn’t rained very recently. In three trips End to End, I never drank two liters between water sources.
1.7 pounds, depending on your weight and mileage and how many calories per ounce you are carrying is probably a safe estimate. It helps if you can get well over 100 calories/ounce.

pedxin