Shuttle options-Neel Gap to Springer

imported

I am hiking the first section of the AT this weekend from Springer Mountain to Neels Gaps and am having a hard time lining up a shuttle to meet us at Neels on Saturday and bring us to Springer. (We want to hike to our car.) Anyone have any recommendations for shuttles in that area? I’ve contacted most of the ones listed on the ATC website but haven’t had any success. I guess some of them don’t do dirt roads anymore either…We want to bypass the approach trail and that means getting dropped off at the parking area on USFS road 42.

Hailey

Here are a few listed on the ATC web page,(explore the trail–transportation—down to hitchiking

Ron Brown
Ellijay, GA (near Springer Mountain)
(706) 636- 2825 (home)
(706) 669 -0919 (cell)
hikershuttles@outlook.com

Tom Bazemore
Dahlonega, GA
(706) 265-9454
(865) 209-1827
appadvco@windstream.ne

T. Hiker Hostel
Josh & Leigh Saint
"Profile & Almanac"
Dahlonega, GA
(770) 312-7342
hikerhostel@yahoo.com

Francis

Let me no if you haven’t found someone yet 7068897044

Subman

I recently pulled a recommendation from your site www.appalachiantrail.org/ for a shuttle driver for a North Georgia section of of the AT. His name was Tom Bazemore and his information is below.

I asked for a 25 mile shuttle from Neels Gap to Tray Mountain for 13 people and was quoted $750. While the price wasn’t a huge deal I told him that was “a little high” and he began cussing at me calling me a “cheap fuc*” among many other derogatory things. This is the rudest person I have ever dealt with regarding the AT in the 20 years I have been hiking in the area. I would strongly recommend removing him from your list or reference to keep others from being put at risk. In addition, I called Neels Gap and they have said they are removing him from the shuttle list because of similar calls and issues with Tom. Tom is not stable, and will put hikers at risk due to his poor character and psychotic disposition. I want to do my part to help keep a great AT environment and Tom won’t contribute to that. Thank you for your time and keep up the great work.
Where can I send a donation to you for your good work?

J Mac

DON’T USE BAZEMORE

Appalachian Adventure Company Tom Bazemore Dahlonega, GA (706) 265-9454 (865) 209-1827 appadvco@windstream.net www.appalachianadventurecompany.com Atlanta, Asheville & Knoxville airports & bus stations and Gainesville, GA Amtrak & bus stations, and along A.T. anywhere from Amicalola Falls S.P. and Springer Mtn. GA through Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Can shuttle up to 10 people; can go as far north as Damascus,VA for a large enough group. Can also stop at outfitters or grocery stores along the way.

j mac

Don’t know anything about him, but one thing that jumps out - in the info you posted it says shuttles for UP TO 10 people, so that may have been part of the seemingly high cost.
If he can only take up to 10, he may have been quoting based on having to make two trips to accommodate all 13 people (which now turns 25 miles into 100 miles and several hours of time)?

Billy

Dude - if your paying ANYTHING to get up the road 25 miles then you’re F’d up. I don’t care if you got 25 people. You could all hitch to where you are going in the time it took to make the calls, get turned down, then post all over the net about how you have no idea what you are doing. Here’s how it’s done: 1. Stick out thumb. 2. Wait. 3. Pile as many in car as can. 4. Arrive up road in 45 mins.

Pilgrim Skywheel

That’s what I heard at Gooder Grover hostel last night. Is this for real? :mad

BadSalad