SierraWest Tents

imported

Does anybody remember “SierraWest” or “Sierra West” of Santa Barbara, California? If so, do you know what happened to them? Or who they became?

In 1982 I purchased a small two person tent made by them from Eastern Mountain Sports in Boston, Ma. It had a small hoop at the rear and a larger hoop at the front, and was not free standing. The top and most of the sides were mesh, mesh, with an attached fly sewn to large front hoop area that one simply pulled back and stacked out when it rained.

The complete tent, with stakes and sack, weighs 3 pounds 3 ounces.

The tent performed flawlessly, keeping me completely dry in North and South Carolina nightlong downpours.

It seems to me that the tent was called the “Clip Flashlight” and for years I thought it was made by Sierra Designs.

Last week, I took a closer look a the label. There’s no doubt about it, it’s “SierraWest.”

Again, does anyone remember this company and/or know what happened to them?

Google yielded no results.

Thank you.

Conan

Conan

Hi Conan, I remember Sierra West, in fact I had one of their tents in the early eighties, they also made light-weight rain gear. I don’t remember if they were bought out or went belly-up.

Contact EMS in Peterborough, NH and see if some of the “old timers” know. :tongue

Lady Di

No one ever mentions Sierra West anymore! I also had one of their tents - I bought it in 1986 I think, and it sounds similar to the one you describe.

It was quite light for then, I wanted something that could function for bp’ing and car camping. I was a poor ski bum in UT and did a lot of research before buying it, tried it once in my backyard and then took it to Moab that Fall for the 1st Fat Tire Festival (that’s how I know it was 1986) and guess what?

It was stolen, along with my vintage 1972 REI down sleeping bag…I never quite got over that. I still have a long raincoat made by them, it’s called a “cagoule” (sp) for the style which was my aunt’s, pretty sure she had it from the 70s, when she passed away in 89 I asked if I could have it as it reminded me of our many canoe trips.

Thanks for the memories…

Bluebearee

Dear Lady Di and Blubearee,

Thank you for your responses. Both of you surprised me with your memories; each of which so perfectly fit in with mine.

Imagine, 24 years ago, or thereabouts, we all chose the same equipment maker, and were all apparently happy with what we found (although I lament Blubearee’s sudden loss).

These common memories mean also that we have all been hiking for at least that long–and even as I write I know we’ve all been hiking longer.

For all of this, I salute you and thank you.

Individually and together you have made my day.

Years ago, we all saw something in nature, the beauty of it and our connection with it. At that point, we entered the forest, we began the natural exploration and enjoyment (root word: “joy”), and we’re all still doing those things. And in so doing, we realize not only the virtues of nature (of which we are a part), but of our own humanity.

This is perfect.

Sincerely, Conan.

Conan

I found your post by doing a Google search myself. I still have my SierraWest Skylight tent, and have to sell it (along with most of my possessions) to make ends meet. I was searching for what a new SierraWest tent would sell for, but like you, I can’t locate them. It is such a fantastic tent! I have fond memories of staring up at the stars through the mosquito net roof, in the wilderness areas of various states. I used to just use a poncho strung between two trees, to sleep under, even in snow at 10,000 ft, in order to keep carrying weight light or reserved for water in the desert. This tent fit the bill, and felt like lightweight luxury. Hopefully some other company filled the void with similar products, but I doubt the quality is as good. Anyway, I still have my tent literature, and it’s one word: SierraWest, and address was 6 East Yanonali St, Santa Barbara CA 93101, in case anyone wants to keep searching.

Mickbuckwheat

Wow, I found some info on this tent!? thanks! I just bought one at a church yard sale, about ten bucks or so, but no fly, I got a scorpion fly on ebay, and am looking at some other eureka flies, like I figure, make a lightweight tent, roomy! half-way between a clip flashlight, and a true hex dome, not quite free-standing, but fairly easy to set up, with about six stakes to hold it vertical and out, with only one front guy line.

Lewis

Wow, the memories…I am currently looking for a new tent and so dug out the old one, SierraWest. My grandmother bought it for me around 1983. Set it up and the memories came creeping back. I lived in the tent for months at a time, mostly in Ohio, but also in St. Croix USVI. The darn thing is missing a zipper on one side of the door, and has a broken pole that I repaired with other pole parts. If that tent could talk…what a story it would tell.

Like others of you, this tent made a believer out of me. I hate the thought of buying another one, partly because I would feel guilty, and partly because it was made in the USA and took the most brutal punishment. Anyway, I will not ever part with this one, but alas, I must purchase a new one. Any thoughts? I think that 4 season is a must, but I dont even know any of the details of this one. It is a blue and grey tent with metalic yellow poles. Is there one that is comprable?

Steve

I just took my sierra west mobile dome back packing this weekend. It survived a serious downpour. The seams are a bit worn so they need to be resealed but after 25 years, its still a great tent. too bad the company just disappeared

windinthewillows

I am still sleeping in my Sierra West Mobile Dome 25 years later. It is gray with a medium blue floor. The rainfly is all gray and the poles are gold aluminum. It is a great tent that handled a 40 day trip along the Pacific Coast Trail back in 1987. I just slept in it the last 4 days in my backyard in Washington. I love this tent. If you would like to see a photo of this the Sierra West Mobile Dome, email me back.

Cedarspring

I’ve owned many tents, the Sierra West Mobile Dome three times! It was my very first tent, early 80’s, I guess that explains a lot, but it was a flawless performer. I sold that one in hard times. Then picked up one years later, took it to South Africa, where I left it in storage, I suspect it has been stolen, but I’ll know more when I get back there, after the current hard times are behind us. Then I picked up another at a yard sale, couldn’t pass it up, it is now my current favorite “car tent”. I also remember the clip flashlight, never owned one, another flawless performer.

bbharim

There is one for sale on eBay today. I think the $99.00 price is pushing it.

rkelty

I no longer remember what model mine was, as I had it for such a short time (see sad story up above), but one of those photos on eBay looks familiar. Color is certainly right. I know mine had lots of mesh in the ceiling but I don’t think the poles criss crossed like that. But yes $100 is a bit much though it does look in good shape.

Bluebearee

I finally found this forum and this thread! The two pole SierraWest “coffin” style tents were called the Skylight and the Gimme Shelter. The Gimme had two hoops of the same length, with a door on both ends. It was, essentially, a Skylight front, sewn to a Skylight front. The 3lb 3oz Skylight, which is the one I got in 1978 or 79 had poles of different lengths, and is the one described above by Conan. It was by far the best overall tent I have ever owned. The storms, the clouds of insects, even the long years, were taken completely in stride by that tent. The only reason I quit using it was because the waterproofing and the re-proofing make the tent stink so much that the wife won’t go near it. The company was bought out in the 80s, and I don’t remember the name of the owner corp, but they made sportswear. They did NOT continue making camping gear. What I have not been able to find is who owns the patents to the original designs, as I would love to have a new one made. I really don’t want to have the one I own torn to pieces in order for the copy to be made.
I would probably want to change the entry just a bit though, as getting in and out without soaking the inside during a downpour was always an adventure in contortion, and I am getting way too old for that sort of thing.

desert expat

Found an old sleeping bag made by Sierra West that my dad bought in the 80’s when he lived in CA. Stumbled across this forum topic looking for info, fouND this Google book magazine article about the company and thought I’d share.

https://books.google.com/books?id=7N8DAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA22&lpg=PA22&dq=sierra+west+santa+barbara&source=bl&ots=tAeltNKy1C&sig=3XZCF5tekm7sQdMGMj2prMI9ts8&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj38ILfo5zOAhVGRyYKHYsBBIYQ6AEIlgEwEg#v=onepage&q=sierra%20west%20santa%20barbara&f=false

B

I have a SierraWest Lighthouse tent that I bought in the mid 80’s. Two hooped poles running across the tent. Have to stake the 4 corners down for it too stay properly positioned. Used it for many backpacking trips to the Grand Canyon and just got back from two weeks car camping up in Northern CA and Oregon. Minor damage to one of the pole sections and the door netting zipper needs some attention, but other than that still useful.

Owen

Hello I’m a reseller on eBay and other online selling and social platforms. Recently I acquired a Sierra West tent in army green camouflage. If anyone is interested before it is listed please feel free to reach me here and we can arrange for purchase or I can direct you to the eBay listing once listed. Thank you