Sleeping bag? - Appalachian Trail

imported

What temp rating sleeping bag should I look to for Feb. 10. I was thinking of getting a down bag. Keep in mind that I will be using a homemade silk mummy liner. Any brands, specific bags. The price has gotta ber under $200!!!

Sweeper 2001

Since I live down south and have experienced winter in the Smokie, I highly suggest a 0 deg. bag UNLESS your a really warm sleeper or your liner is awesome…A few budget minded choices are

Campmor 0 deg down mummy - around 150-60 dollars.
For others you could check out campmor or sierra tradingpost.com, northernmountain.com usually has something on sale

if polarguard 3d is acceptable, campor has a wide variety of TNF stuff on sale. If you want to brave the cold with a 20 deg bag, campor had the TNF vega on sale for 130, and the 20 deg TNF ember for around 100…there are alot of options available.

Personally im going with a 20 deg 3D bag because its cheap, will insulate when wet, and dries quicker. plus im going to add a liner or vapor barrier for the cold days.

Hope this helps
SS GAME 3/1/01

Scruffy Sleeper

I just checked out sierratradingpost.com:
NUPTSE DOWN PARKA
by
THE NORTH FACE
(For Men)
$79.95 (REG. $225)
700+ fill 1 pound 5 oz.

I was thinking of maybe using this old K-mart down jacket to boost my 20* TNF 3D bag and liner. Should be warm enough I figured, and I love the fact that things may have dual purposes (it can keep me warm around camp). I may get this parka as it is longer and much better quality. I dunno. Anybody take a down jacket? This could replace my liner even I was thinking at least during Feb. and March. thanks for feedback.
-Sweeper GAME 2/10/2001

Sweeper

Im not sure about the down parka idea…while very warm and light, theyre easliy a burden if it gets wet…so if you try and layer on a cold wet day you may end up with a 10 lb block of down in your pack. Just a thought. I plan on a good quality fleece jacket, i think thats enough for me. But being a college student i cant rationalize an 80 dollar down jacket right now, so im somewhat biased

SS

Scruffy SLeeper

Well scruffy, that’s a deal!!! Does not get much better this day and age I reckon. Down has been proven to work. You know what is a pain… Any insulation being wet!!! When I wash my 3D bag by hand, it easily weighs 20 times what it does dry! Take proper precautions and all should be fine. Actually, down is easier to clean and loft, weight, compression can’t be beat. I do like fleece though, but it is not nearly as warm. Dries in a heartbeat. Everything has +'s and -'s really… It’s a personal choice. And yes, I’m paying close attention to cost too. I’m fairly decided that I will stick with my 20* bag and supplement it with something. Don’t know what… -Sweeper

Sweeper

Howdy Sweeper. I’ve mentioned this once. You say that you want more warmth but you only want to spend $200. I say to go all out on a western Mounaineering 40Hilite. It is 40F, $200, and 1 LB. It adds 25*F to your bag durring the cold, and will make you the lightest thing around from Pearisburg north. Of course, if yo could spend less, that would be nice too. The only thing that worries me about the down jacket, is the amount of room in the sleeping bag. If you put on a down jacket, most likely, it will fill too much of the bag, crush insulation, and therefore make you colder. An alternative (and you know how I love down) is the Patagonia Puffball Pullover. It weighs 10.5oz and is warmer than any piece of fleece on the block. It is also much more compact than a down jacket, adn being that it IS more likely to get rained on, burned by a campfire, and beat up than your sleeping bag, a better choice for you main outerwear insulation.

Walking is Freedom - Hungry Howie GA-ME 2000

Hungry Howie

Do you have an address where I can check out this puffball pullover? -Sweeper

Sweeper

yup. Go to www.patagonia.com They have it shown there. They just lowered the price this year by $20. If you have any questions, email them, they have excellent customer service.

Hungry Howie GA-ME 2000

Hungry Howie

If you are jacket/liner shopping check out the wind block fleece Anorak pull over from landsend.com We both have them and haven’t found anythng that works as well as a mid layer and doubles as a liner in the bag. It’s Maldem Mills 300 weight wind block fleece with a hood and a double front pocket large enough to hold a quart Nalgene. Nice hwen you break camp, put some hot tea in it and shove it in the pocket to warm up hands and core.I use it when on motor cycle rides to work in the morning and one time it was in the fourties with only a t-shirt under it. Guess the wind chill at 65mph-cold! Nice and warm, you wouldn’t think it would hold heat with that much wind on it but it does. Also on a trip to the Tetons it keep us toasty in a seventy mph sleet storm with no wind penetration. Great after the hike around camp to warm up. You can order one and see what it’s like and if not LandsEnd has a great return policy.

Bushwhack

Oh yah, as with all synthetics they insulate when wet. Jump/fall in the river and walk it dry. Or what it was designed for; as a layering system under a waterproof breathable shell. When the temp is low and the weather is on you still might sweat to death but will dry out and be warm because of the wicking effect. You won’t get cold in an all day freezing rain storm with three layers on. Been there many many times. But you do have to pay to play. Gortex orother, fleece layer, light weight under like Capilene mids or lights. Anyone for Sweepercicle? I love the cushy down feel but it’s a brick when wet. Save it for Everest or dry weekenders.

Bushwhack

I was just on a hike and shared some time with a past thru hiker who had this “puffball”. It was really nice. And so lite weight. I’m a thinking I’m a gonna get one of these!
-hamockhngr

hamockhngr

I was all set to buy the puffball, when Brad (somebody) on the other forum mentioned that rei-outlet was having a closeout sale on the moonstone cirrus which is almost identical. I was able to get the pullover (only mediums left, size 41 chest) and the vest (all sizes avail) for under $90.00 with free shipping until 12/15. I’m so happy. I’ll be warm and lightweight!!! **** (Boys: I’m heading to Colorado, Snowmass next Tuesday. Record snows for November!! Snowboarding…yes!! Alittle snowshoeing! I’m on it!!) Bye.
-hamockhngr

hamockhngr

…And some 14er climbing!!! I would obviously. Bust out those Ice axe skillz and steer clear of the avalanches. (Our first attempted route is apparently the winter friendly one.) Go for it. -Sweeper

Sweeper

I rec’d the pullover and vest today. They are not as lofty as the Patagonia Puffball. I am still very pleased with them and will check out their warmth quality and durability on the slopes. Very lightweight. Maybe I’ll be able to lighten my load and still be warm. --hamockhngr/133 days!

hamockhngr