Sleeping pad ideas and comfort

I have the short therma-a-rest neo air because it so lightweight but I just cannot get comfortable on it.
At home I sprawl across my memory foam mattress. I am thinking maybe the large neo air would have been better. Anyone have ideas about sleeping pads. If I were younger I think the ground would more comfortable then trying to stay on a pad.

I can’t help since I use a hammock with an underquilt. Here’s a link to a video for using a pad in a hammock if you’re curious. Shug (Sean Emery) is a classic in hammock circles!

Using a Camping Pad as Hammock Insulation

I move a lot in the night and could never stay in the diagonal position required to lay flat in a hammock. Usually woke up with a killer back ache from naturally moving to the middle.

I am happy with the full size neo air. It works quite well on the ground and on hard surfaces like shelters. Fully inflated it keeps me warm and my butt never touches the floor. It offers the best comfort to weight option.

I spent a lot of time researching as I am a side sleeper, and find even normal mattresses can lead to aching hips halfway through the night. After much reading I settled on the Klymit Insulated Static V. It doesn’t take a lot of air to inflate, has good insulation and has a good profile that means you can sleep right on the edge without sliding off.

I thought about the shorter mats; but my feet take forever to warm up and I figured I needed that extra insulation between me and the ground. Weighs about 24oz - not the lightest; but if you can’t sleep soundly, you’ll be too exhausted to enjoy your hike.

Hammocks are new to me; the places I hike around here don’t have many of the right type of trees between which to string them up. Our trees are very susceptible to bark damage and many species “self-prune” and drop branches without reason. Wise hikers seek an open space in which to camp; away from trees. Do they work out for really cold side sleepers? Or do you need to be a back sleeper to be comfortable?

I’m currently using a Big Agnes “Air Core”. It’s 20"x72"x3.25" and weighs 21 oz. As I’m always looking for ways to shave off some ounces I’m thinking about swapping it out for a Thermarest “NeoAir XLite”. It’s 20"x72"x2.5" but weighs a mere 12 oz.
I’m a side sleeper and have had Thermarest pads before and always was quite comfortable on them.

I’m a confirmed flip/flop sleeper. I move around in a regular bed a lot! In my hammock, it’s taken a while but I’ve gotten comfortable. I don’t seem to move much. When I do, it’s usually to move my legs to change my knees. I’m currently experimenting with a small stuff sack filled with clothes under them.

I have surprised myself a couple of time when I woke up to find myself on my side. I’m usually curled up however.

As to cold, this link is a trip report of “Shug” Emery camping in below zero weather in Minnesota using a hammock. Shug hammocking in below zero weather

1 Like