Snow on the AZT

imported

I will be starting my thru-hike next week and was wondering what the snow situation is like on the AZT right now. I am planning on having my crampons for the entire trail and am sending my snowshoes to Pine, AZ. Think that will be ok?

Thanks!

Adeline

As of write now therir is about an inch of snow around Flagstaff, Though it is snowing here currently. This is a really low snow year. Not sure what its looking like down south, but up north its smooth sailing. Let me know if you want a free place to stay while hiking through Flagstaff. My place is open to all thru hikers.

Guino

Thanks Guino! I just might take you up on that offer. Do you think snowshoes are overkill?

Adeline

It depends on if there is a bunch of snow or not. You can send them to Pine, and if their is no snow on the ground and none forecast, forward them to Flagstaff, about 4 to five days north depending on your pace. There will probably be a bunch around the peaks, though it really depends on how fresh it is. If its been setting up a month after a storm you could just walk across the top. Hundreds of people do the Sierra Nevada in the snow on the PCT, and only where tennis shoes/ trail runners. Though by then the snow on PCT is hard. Did you start an online journal or blog for your hike? With a smart phone updating is super easy, just like with a laptop, but cooler, since you can do it in your tent.

Guino

If nothing else you might try calling the Summerhaven post office. Postmaster Pamela will, I’m sure, be happy to tell you about current conditions on Mt Lemmon, which would be indicative of snowpack at similar elevations throughout the Sky Islands, give or take. In my experience snowshoes in the southern ranges aren’t worth it for the limited use you’d likely get out of them. Ice/snow walkers like YakTrax could be useful in early season, though.

blisterfree

I just went to the website for Mt.Lemmon and they just got a dusting of snow.

Fireweed