Snowpack - John Muir Trail

imported

Hey everyone!
It has been a heavy snow year for the sierras. I read today that its over 200% of normal. Are people concerned about trail conditions with snow? I’m sure the early season hikers may be. Two girls and myself are hitting the trail, heading NOBO, starting Aug. 11. I don’t think snow should be a problem… but its hard to know. Just seeing what your guys’ experience/thoughts are.

Brittney

I hiked the JMT in a very high snow year. We left the last week in July and encountered heavy snow in all the passes. Snow started showing up over 10,000 ft for the most part. The rangers in Yosemite where we got our permit gave us a big song and dance about the snow and route finding and how we were from NH so wouldn’t be able to handle the snow. Like we don’t get snow in NH. When you get to a pass the trail will be obscured but without a tree in sight navigation is pretty easy. Bone up on map skills and you will have no problem. I found the snow very fun to walk on. Plan river crossings for the AM before the streams swell from melt off.

Big B

I’ve done June thru’s in low snow years, and a late August in 2006, which was high, though not quite as high as this year so far. You’ll hit plenty of snow, but i would be shocked if it weren’t well-tracked by August 11th. I’d be more concerned with mosquitos, personally. On the bright side, unlike some recent Augusts, you’ll have water everywhere and never have to plan where to get it from.

markv