Snowsshoes - Continental Divide Trail

imported

I have been told I will not need snowshoes for NOBO on CDT via BC maps. Yet, i keep seeing photos of pretty knowledgeable hikers with snowshoes on CDT. SO for the sake of obtaining addi’l info what is your opinion on the need for snowshoes for CO and etc.? (NOBO hike).

SunnyWalker

So far Colorado’s snowpack is 75-86% of average. But that could all change in March and April. If you think you’ll be in Colorado in May, then you definitely need snowshoes. But if it’s a below average year, by June, the snow is often consolidated enough that you will stay on top of the snow in the morning when it’s cold, and then post hole in the afternoon only.

Lisa

The need for snowshoes boils down to the type of snow - specifically how consolidated the snow is - and the air temperature rather than the depth. Unless there is a considerable amount of new snow (or if its unseasonably hot @ elevation) you probably won’t need snowshoes.

freebird

I was thinking about starting southbound from wolf creek pass in early June, probably the first week. this is my first section hiker, so my question is : is this section (to the NM border) hikeable with a dog in early June, or should I wait? I know little about avalanches as well, do they happen that late?

j.

Mid June is about the earliest I would do it, with or without the dog. I did this segment it in the first week of July (2009) going north and encountered some big,steep, snow covered hillsides that had to be crossed carefully. I didn’t carry a iceaxe or minis but if you go earlier you probably should.

Slushy, sloppy, heavy avalanches are common during the breakup, which will definitely be going on in June.

bearcreek