Solo - The Long Trail - Vermont

imported

I like to solo. As long as there is a trail and trail signs/markers and I carry a map/guide I am very confident. Is there any reason I should not solo the LT as a woman (safety)? Also…could I truly get away with not carrying a tent on this trip? Staying in shelters sounds so very cush!Not carrying a tent seems very strange…but lighter for sure. Do shelters get crowded enough that if I arrived at sunset (likely, given my pace) there would be no room? Are bear canisters required? (they are in California). I will buy the guide to prepare, but thought if people had quick answers… thanks.

niki

I know a number of women who did it. I would never go with out some type of emergency shelter, but that is me. This trail is not used as much as some but certain times of the year the shelters can get full but not like the AT. I think you would be able to find room. No canister is needed. It is a beautiful trail. The northern half is much more remote then the southern half that is shared with AT. :girl

Hammock Hanger

I have met tons of solo hikers along the AT and other trails. The issue of safety for solo hikers, women in particuar, comes up ever so often in forums…it comes up less out on the trail. You’d be fine hiking the LT solo just use some precautions…and it wouldn’t kill ya to carry a small canister of mace just in case. As for hiking without a tent…go for it, it saves so much weight.

Long Trail

I hiked the LT solo in 2005 and had no problems. Trust your gut, if you encounter someone that sketches you out, keep moving.

My tent was one of the first pieces of gear I sent home, though depending on when you hike it is possible to run into crowded shelters - especially in the first 100 miles (overlap with AT, so extra hikers) and around Mt. Mansfield. The trail has gobs of shelters, and usually only 5-10 miles apart so if one is full you can usually keep hiking to the next one. However if you hike until sunset, bring a tent just in case.

No need for bear canisters, VT doesn’t have the bear problem CA does. Enjoy the weight savings!

tumblina

Wow! fast replies! Thanks…I tried to call the park but the time difference meant it was too late. I figured soloing was fine, but haven’t hiked on the east coast before. And I am soooo happy to go sans bear canister. While they make great wash basins…the bulk is so not worth it! I just might be able to pull this one off…I’m getting excited!

niki

I hiked the northern 1/3 of the trail in 2008 and the southern 2/3 in 2009. Solo is no problem and the trail is very well marked.

Definitely no need for bear canister. Last year there was a pesky bear hanging around Seth Warner Shelter (southern most shelter). Green Mountain Club put a metal box there for food storage. If box not there, just hang food in tree.

I hiked with a one person tent. I did not use it at all on the northern 1/3. Out of nine nights in shelters, I was by myself for six of them so overcrowding was no problem. On the southern 2/3, I used the tent three times. Once because the shelter was full (Seth Warner), and twice because at the end of the day, it was too far to the next shelter. I did pass some other shelters that were full in 2009. The issue is more traffic in southern 1/3 where AT and LT are the same, and groups from boys/girls camps that are out on the trail in the summer.

If convenient for your trip, I highly recommend staying a night at the Long Trail Inn and Nye’s Green Valley Farm in Jeffersonville. The owners at both places are outstanding hosts.

My favorite shelters were Skyline Lodge and Spruce Ledge. Relatively new shelters with great views.

Have an outstanding hike!

D6

The trail gets the most use during the summer and on weekends through the fall - these are the times that the shelters are more likely to be crowded. Camps/scouts are more likely to use the shelters near Camel’s Hump and Mt. Mansfield on weekends.

June in VT is black fly season and completely miserable. Mosquitos show up throughout the summer - though they are NOTHING compared to what I encountered on the JMT in 2006.

Enjoy your hike!

tumblina

I would consider using a bivy just for emergencies and in case the bugs are bad at night. My bivy weighs 17 oz. and while not very roomy is available if I decide to push on and not stay at a shelter.

moonlight

i am headg out solo too this fall… there is NO way I would go without a tent. I like having a choice and there are some sweet wild camp sites out there. The shelters get freaking crowded ans the snoring abounds ! i have a a tarp tent that is less the 2 lbs and is coming with me :girl

yappy

Tents are for squares.

solo