Southern terminus

imported

Whats the best way to drive to the official southern terminus of the CDT in NM? And how bad is the road?

miles

The guy that was angeling so you could $ water died this year. Sam Houghs I think so that’s a good question

frank

In 2011 we were not able to get in touch with Sam so I went into the town offices in lordsburg and asked if they knew anyone. Got hooked up with a local, Mike Kahn, with whom we negotiated a price. We paid him more than Sam asked but he got us there and left H2O along the way. Not sure that Mike is there any longer.

marti /Swannee

Here’s a link to a map & description showing the route:
http://spiriteaglehome.com/Crazy_Cook.html

If you need a shuttle, maybe inquire on the CDT-l list:
http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/cdt-l/

Happy Trails!

freebird

Thanks for the info and the link to the map! Does anyone know how nasty the road really is ?

miles

Hey Miles,
I drove it in a Border Patrol vehicle exactly a year ago at the end of my CDT thru-hike. It is mostly just a rough BLM road, but there are a few spots with loamy sand and rocks.

We were probably doing 60mph on it, but I think I would have broken my neck on the ceiling of the Chevy Tahoe if my seat belt was synched tightly… The Border Patrol Tahoes have a super deluxe custom suspension paid for by US: the tax slaves.

But, I have no complaints, Border Patrol drove me from Crazy Cook all the way back to Lordsburg and wouldn’t accept any $ (the agent said “it’s on Uncle Sam” so I took him out to dinner that night). I believe this was a one-time only shuttle as they had to get clearance from a supervisor to pick me up.

I also drove the road with Sam Hughes in '09. The road is better now and probably passable with any front-wheel drive vehicle with normal clearance (a Prius probably wouldn’t make it).

Happy Trails!

freebird

Thanks Freebird . Im section hiking parts of NM in these coming few weeks . I will have a friend drive me to Crazy cook in a jeep. The weather is perfect now in the desert for me who doesnt like hiking in hot weather. Your info is very helpful. Also congratulations to you for through hiking the CDT!

miles

yup the weather in November down there is awesome. Everyday I was grateful for the warm sunny days (versus the brutal heat I experienced @ the end of April in '09)…

Let me know if the bloated, dead javalina is still floating belly-up in the infamous Tractor Tire Tank :slight_smile:

Happy Trails!

freebird