Speed record on the AT

I read with some amusement about hiker Stringbean who completed the AT in 45 days, 12 hours and 15 minutes. I didn’t check the math, but the article mentions that is an average of about 50 miles per day. Wut?

I too am interested in a record. I want to do the slowest hike, taking the longest amount of time with still making it to Katadhin before it is closed. I am sort of kidding, but I am planning on starting early, starting slow, and am fully expecting a whole lot of people to catch up and pass me before too long. Once I get my trail legs, I would like to eventually do a 20 mile day, but I see no need to do that more than once.

Maybe I’ll see some of you out there.

Comments are welcome.

2 Likes

The miseries of “too” early a start are more likely drive you to give up than anything else. If you are serious about finishing a thru-hike you should consider a starting a NOBO in late March or early April, Sobo late June or early July. Join the collective, resistance is futile. At a normal thru hiker pace and after 2 weeks struggle you discover that you have made made it 150 miles and you have over 2,000 miles to go. In the face of this reality most of those who planned very short mileage days surrender their soul to the Mileage Monster. You will notice that the campfire conversation will turn to the obsession for mileage before it will turn to the obsession about food. Stringbean mileage averages before stringbeans for dinner.

1 Like

@TwoLastNames If you haven’t seen Comer and Jean’s 2001 journal it may be a good one to checkout. They also hike a good chunk of the trail in 2007. They started both their hikes in Winter. They wanted to make sure they had plenty of time to get to Katahdin (they finished 7/1).

I feel like everyone eventually figures out what’s right for them.

I never really thought about it before, but I’d be curious to see how many thru-hikers only end up doing one 20 mile day.

1 Like

I checked the math. He had to average 48.1 miles per day!

I know there are some people who are into such records. As I am a mature hiker, I know this is not for me. I mostly just want to make sure I have a reasonably enjoyable time (knowing there will be hardships) and avoid an overuse injury which would prevent me from finishing. I would be careful that intentionally going very slowly (simply to go slowly) could seem to be more of a reaction against the speed hikers than doing what is best for you. I would also be concerned that going too slowly could prevent you from having the experience of longer term friendships with tramily members. Many people say that experiencing these relationships was one of the most valuable parts of their treks.

I know that I will have to be careful that I don’t push myself. However, if I know that a nice dinner and a zero day awaits in a trail town far ahead, I would push myself for a longer day. Setting daily goals based on shelters, resupply needs, water, terrain, weather or simply how I (or my tramily) are feeling will definitely be more important than long term goals.

The terminus will be waiting for me. Unless you have a specific deadline, it’s far more important to get there than to worry about what date to arrive.

1 Like

Are we talking about the slow speed record?

I started in June, 1974, the day after graduating high school in Potomac, MD. I walked up the C&O Canal, climbed the Weaverton Cliffs, and went all the way to Maine! That was enough for one summer but I kept coming back, finally to finish in Sept 2014. And my trail name is

forty year plan