Start north or south on LT?

imported

Myself and a friend are planning on hiking about 120 miles of the LT this July. We’d like to hit up the best section of hike, should we start at the top or bottom?

Jess

The north end is, in my opinion, the more remote rugged and beautiful section. The south end is easier, more crowded and beautiful but not quite as beautiful. If you are hiking the whole trail I think it would be better to start in the south and walk north in order to get your trail legs on the easier part and finish in the more interesting part.

Big B

another good reason to hike north (if you live far away) is it’s much easier to get a ride back from the remote Canadian border with some folks you have been hiking with, as there is no longer very much rural bus service in VT.
While there is public transport as far north as the Burlington/Montpelier corridor (can catch the rush hour weekday city bus from a park&ride W of Richmond town to either Burlington or Montpelier); Greyhound leaves from the Burlington airport which (likeAmtrak)can be reached by cheap city bus. Every bed in Burlington can be booked in summer, so reserve as early as possible whether at the hostel or hotel/motel. The EMS over by the mall had everything a hiker could need; except for food which was rather expensive at the coop store. If it’s cheaper to fly into New York towns, you can take the train which is only about $33 from Albany to Rutland, VT where hopefully there’s still a hostel you can reserve a bed at since you get in about 9pm. There was a weird way to get fromBurlington to Rutland as commuter buses from each met in the middle at Middlebury, in case you have to bail there. After the 2011 hurricane, my only option was to take the ferry from Burlington to Port Kent (amtrak station & gift shop only); so that would be a good option if it’s cheaper to fly into a New York town: train to PK & ferry to Burlington dock, just a short walk to the hostel. There was a great “Radio Bean” coffee shop with live musicians (singersongwriter) & draft beer & food. the toughest part I thought was the deep rock crevasse you had to jump over & around a bouder at the same time… it made the ladders & dropoffs seem like a picnic while climbing up the forehead/face of Mt. Mansfield on the way north from Jonesville…I would do the bypass trail around the forehead crevasse, ladders etc… if the weather was wet !!! The GMC waterproof map & End to Ender’s guide were good value, but I would not carry the heavy duty guidebook ! Several times I was saved when other hikers left a gas canister I could use & I carried out the empty along with alot of other trash ! PS. I regretted wearing trail running shoes, as it turned out to be a bit too rugged of a trail for them !

inchworm plumber

If you are doing 120 miles, start on the Canadian border. It is more remote
And rugged . Jay peak is Awesome.

Marti/swannee

Jay peak was a ski resort with no potable water except if the caretaker lets you have some from his igloo. the parts South of jay were rugged & scenic… but the part north of Jay was mostly just rugged & overgrown. The shelters were awesome with sometimes just a trickle of water. The lodges turned out to be simple cabins rather than lodges you might find on the PCT/CDT & if it’s late August, you might find yourself sharing one with a dozen or more University students doing silly skits for initiation & the veterans jogging up from the road with frozen treats! I spent’bout $15 total on Taft cabin lodge & Sterling Pond shelter where there were caretakers over the 15 days I hiked from Canada to Jonesville(at Inchworm Plumber’s slowish pace) & used the iodine tablets with antidote to treat water… there was an outdoor shop on the northern portion just a few hundred yards from the trail, but closed the day I arrived & I forgot which road.
On weekends, the local yokels could drive ATV’s up to some shelters for a beerfest;but there’s usually other hikers around during summer months. PS. South of Jay, there were several miles long dirt sidewalks that really surprised me & must be due to the number of tourists & hard work of trail maintainers. Devil’s gulch was the most fun, but only had a tiny string to help you up & over the rock face. Watch out for the face in bad weather !

gingerbreadman

I love the whole thing, but prefer the North. The key issue is what you are looking for.

The North is more rugged and remote - you are much more away from it all.

The south is more traveled, offers many more opportunities to swim and it is much easier to get to off trail services. Hitching is generally much easier.

Also: Jay has bathrooms with running water and plumbing.

pedxing