Summer sleeping bag

imported

What do you folks plan to use in the summer months? I am taking a cats meow 15 degree and will probably send it home during the summer and recall it toward the end.
Any recommendations?

speedbump

I plan on a western mountaineering hilite. it weighs 1 pound, 40-50 deg temp rating and packs down to…get this 6x12. Oh. it cots around 200. another good choice might be sierra designs ultralight series

SS
GAME 3/1/01

Scruffy SLeeper

This (the WM HiLite) is definately the Creme de la Creme, if I spelled that right…Anyhow, its the best that money can buy. The western Mountaineering HiLite (aka the one pound marvel) differs from the SD Ultralite in that the WM has A ZIPPER! A major plus in a SUMMER bag when it may get to hot. Anything less would be uncivilized…

Freedom is Walking -Hungry Howie GA-ME 2000

Hungry Howie

I have been experimenting with a blanket bought at Target, if I remember right. It is made of “Vellux”, 100% nylon microfibers on an insulating polyethylene base. It seems to be about the same weight as my fleece summerbag/liner. It is a lot more comfortable, as I sleep nude in all conditions except below zero when I might don the duofolds. I have slept under it as a blanket down to 60 degrees, and been very comfortable. Sewn into a bag with reduced volume to heat, and less influx of outside air, I would think it will be suitable down to 55 or 50. It would also make a good liner. Has anyone else used this material? The blanket is very inexpensive, and all one would have to add is the cost of a zippper (Campmor carries) and a little time. It seems to avoid pilling, and the surface is a very fine short pile, almost like a long nap velvet. Before I proceed, I want to continue using as a blanket, and see if anyone else has used the material. Machine washable and recommended to dry in a dryer.

Trailblazer75

I made a lightwt summer bag out of a fleece blanket purchased through Campmor. It was light but bulky and I didn’t like it when it got wet. I plan to bring a older Slumberjack 50d bag that I brought for Florida Hiking. It is barely a pound and stuffs up to about the size of a small loaf of bread. I sleep under the stars most nights. I am able to zip it up around my shoulders and unzip the bottom and stick my feet out when needed. Luckily most mosquitos dislike me and for those that do bite I rarely get a reaction. LUCKY ME. I wear a net over my head in really buggy areas due to the annoying fly in your ear thing. BLACK FLIES of course are a pain to us all.

hamockhngr 2001 - 161d

hamockhngr

What about the linelite by Western Mountaineering? It is good to 45 degrees by itself, and it should boost my 20 degree rating low enough for feb… Plus, it allows you to wear it around camp like a jacket! A tad cheaper than the hilite too. -Sweeper

Sweeper

After using it for some six months and washing and drying it twice, I find it holds up well, and is warm for its weight. Cut down the queen size blanket I had into a sleep sack for summer use. I have used it when naked down to 55, and have been comfortable. But, I sleep warm. I am going to play around with a double layer on the bottom. Only disadvantage is it doesn’t stuff like a regular bag, but it is at least as good as fleece. Target stores are still carrying.

Trailblazer75