Tent Selection, 2p or solo - Help?

imported

My friend and I will be doing to NOBO PCT hike next spring. Any suggestions/opinions/insight on whether we should share a 2p tent or separate solo tents.

Thanks!

Demi

I run into this all the time with the people I back pack with. My younger brother always likes to share a tent in order to divide the weight up. I prefer to have my own tent in case we get separated along the way. When I hike with my girl friend she wants me to be in sight of her at all times for there is no chance of us getting separated. Plus I like sleeping in the tent with her way better then my snoring/farting brother. Most light weight backpacking tents that are rated 2 persons are IMHO really 1.5 person tents.

Big B

I always hike and camp solo. One season I tried a bivvy sack. It’s kind of like waking up in a very large wet diaper. I’ll stick with a solo tent.

bowlegs

Each adult hiker should carry the gear needed for a solo hike. This gives you the most flexibility and protection in case:

• You get involuntarily separated for more than a few hours.
  • You voluntarily choose to separate for some or all time.
  • One of you chooses to or must leave the trail.
  • Gear gets lost, damaged, or fails to operate.

Best intentions/friendship/marriage aside, 2600 miles is a very long way to go side by side with another person. The months of such close contact can put considerable strain on even a committed relationship.

You CAN do the “shared gear” thing and divide the weight (but never the systems), but it means that where one goes, the other MUST go. The biggest risk is if one of you cannot move due to illness or injury and the other must hike out to get help. Murphy’s Law says any help is more than an overnight hike away.

Wandering Bob

1 Like