Ticks? - The Colorado Trail

imported

I understand the CT has its share of mosquitoes, but what about ticks?

Mike Chance

Colorado has its share of ticks, about 7 or 8 different species; however, only several cause any kind of harm like Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. Just spray your clothing and gear with permethrin before you go and you will be fine. I had no encounters with ticks on the CT last year.

NedtheFed

Ned

Tick season at altitude is usually from late-April to mid-June. It seems to peak in late-May which is when I always seem to pick up a couple. I have never seen a tick after July 1 (at altitude). Ron :slight_smile:

San Juan Ron

What plant life has to be taken into account? Poison oak/sumac/ivy? Stinging nettles? Thx

Push

Poison Ivy grows along the last mile of the trail coming into Durango, but that’s the only place along the entire trail where it is a potential problem.

Bearcreek

I love humming birds, Colorado seems to train the birds to attack bright colors. I have had some close calls near Mt. Yale. I blame this on the use of feeders and the birds being normalized to people. Don’t dress as a flower and you should be fine. I stay with brown and green from now on.

I would like it known that if a movie comes out about hikers being killed by hummers, that was my idea.

On a real note, Bearcreek and San Juan Ron are spot on. Not many problems with ticks and plants. I second the use of permethrin treatment on clothing. A head net is good for the small flying bugs. The trail is a great place to hike.

Warren Lewis

I spent several summer at Lujan Pass at 10,000 feet which is near the half-way point of the CT. I was amazed at the black fly and mosquito populations up at that altitude in July even though there was no obvious water source around. I was told there were moist patches in the woods from the melted snow where the bugs hatched. By August, they were long gone. I never saw any ticks. Also saw a very big scary mountain lion and a little non-scary mountain lion. Very cool.

angel apple

Thanks for your replies! Very helpful. I’ll refrain from dressing as a flower and I’ll avoid all sizes of mountain lion, if possible. Planning a solo thru-hike out of Denver the last week in June.

Push