Trail Runners with/without Goretex in cold weather

imported

Hi,
I noticed that a lot of thru hikers are now wearing trail runners for the entire PCT. I currently wear fairly lightweight water-proof mids but I have sweaty feet and tend to end up with too much moisture inside the shoe since they are not breathable. I have heard countless times that highly breathable trail runners are the best way to deal with unavoidable external moisture getting inside, and sweat build up on long distance hikes. I have been strongly considering the switch to trail runners but I am also concerned about how low temps and wind would affect my feet. You see, not only do I have sweaty feet even in cold weather, but I also have generally very cold hands and feet - I deal with cold weather better than my friends but my hands and feet feel like popsicles when their hands are still warm. I hike mainly in the California mountains and sometimes there is some snow or the temps are 15-30F + wind(I also hike at night sometimes).
I would like to get some input/experience on how suitable or comfortable a very breathable trail runner would be in cold/windy conditions. Right now I am looking at something like a La Sportiva Wildcat. Would a trail runner with Goretex strike a good balance in breathability and be noticeably warmer in cold & windy conditions?
Thanks for any advice/input.

RF

I’ve loved using trail runners/sneakers without Goretex. On the AT I had some Montrail Vitesse shoes. On the PCT, JMT, CDT and LT, I used various New Balance, mostly from the MT-100 line.

As a kid, when I hiked with Goretex shoes on the AT, when my shoes got submerged (as will happen often on every distance hike), the Goretex layer took forever to fully dry. A runner with mesh and nylon fabrics is a much better and cheaper option for me. Breathability is great. When I’m moving, my feet are never, ever cold. When I stop moving, I put on new socks and take apart my shoes (laces out, footbeds out) while I make dinner. After dinner, the reassembled shoes are dry and comfortable to wear, tied loosely.

Another lightweight trick that I’ve learned to keep my extremities warm is to take a children’s chewable Asprin a day as a blood thinner. Being in great shape is a double edged sword when it comes to circulation. All the extra red blood cells make it harder for your body to distribute warmth. The Asprin keeps my hands and feet warmer. Happy Hiking!!!

jewel thief

For me the only downside of trailrunners is the insoles are usually very thin and give almost no padding to protect your feet from pointy rocks, etc. I use those cheap “Dr Scholls” inserts for the first week or two of my hike, then throw them away after my feet have toughened up.

I regulate my body temperature (including feet) with fingerless gloves, knit caps, etc. Easy on, easy off and no need to stop hiking to change.

The only time I’ve had cold feet was one frosty morning on the CT. Putting on soaking wet socks and shoes first thing in the morning is always cold but 5 or 10 minutes of hiking and your feet warm right up.

bowlegs

Trail runners, no goretex, spend the xtra weight one one more pair of socks, probably a mid-weight wool blend Darned Tough.

markv