TRT-A Great Hike

imported

I’m surprised that more folks haven’t tried this gem of a hike, as it only takes about 10 days or so and has extraordinary views on its 165-mile course. It would make a great quick hike on anyone’s life list, especially for those who consider the John Muir Trail. An added benefit is that it allows the hiker a “sneak peek” on a portion of the Pacific Crest Trail where they are the same pathway for about 20 miles or so.
Hope more of you get out there on this beauty!
Great hiking!!
BDD

Big Daddy D

I never heard of this trail. Do you have a journal you could post and some pics.

Big B

Tahoe Rim Trail has site at http://www.tahoerimtrail.org/index.htm

I agree that this is a beautiful, interesting hike that makes a great first thru-hike. There are (not too common in the West) privies on trail at the trail heads plus it is a loop trail that helps minimize pre and post travel. Resupply is easy because the trail is near towns or roads even though it mostly feels like the wilderness. We cached food in bear canisters that we dropped off on our way to our starting point.

TJ has 4 TRT journals list with a 2005 journal at www.trailjournals.com/jenntodd

Our ADT hike was on part of the TRT so photos betwee Carson City and Foresthill Sept 27- Oct 1 will give you some idea of the spectacular views in the Sierra.

Enjoy!

marcia powers

I have traveled short sections in an attempt to get to Freel Peak. Although it was a little dicey for me, once I got thru the deep, sandy stuff you didn’t have to get far to get some outstanding views.
I heartily recommend it, if not in its entirety, then in small sections. A very cool adventure, I’ll be back next summer to (finally!) do Mt Tallac and Freel.

4wheelbob

Big B,
You can take a look at my thru hike of the TRT during September 2001. It is here on TJs. And yes, I was hiking when the 9/11 attacks happened. There is another hiker who thru hiked and has a TJ also.
Great hiking!
BDD

Big Daddy D

Hell Yeah!!!
The Tahoe Rim Trail is an absolute jewel. I just finished it two days ago. Well, I hiked about 120 miles of it back in the early summmer (Jul.8-20), with Girl Next Door, Ole’ Dirty Goldbound, and Easy. I just got back to Tahoe this week not quite ready to work, so I finished the Rim trail. A little cold at nite at good elavation. But so very good hikin’. Hey its in my backyard so give me a holla before you come out, maybe I can be of assistaance or something like that.

Keep Smilin & Keep Hikin’

Rocky Top

Rocky Top