Water proof shoes or not?

Section hiking on the AT this Spring … what are the thoughts on waterproof shoes vs. non-waterproof?

1 Like

I’m on the fence right now! From what I’ve read, the main issue seems to be how long the shoes take to dry out after getting wet. And please note, it’s reported that even the “waterproof” shoes WILL eventually get wet. There are a couple of other hiking boards that have major discussions around this.

Scott

Please update as you get more info on the subject. I talked to someone tonight who has backpacked for years. She said while waterproof shoes wont keep your feet dry when it rains, it helps a lot when walking through wet underbrush - especially in mornings.

Supposedly waterproof shoes only keep out water for a bit longer than regular shoes. But a pair of gore-tex boots, especially if they are leather, can even withstand walking in small streams, as long as the water level is below their leg-opening. And if you use it with a good gaiter, your feet can stay dry for a long time even in a heavy, long rain.

1 Like

Waterproof hiking shoes or boots don’t exist. I did this experiment once in the Smokey’s. 8 of us departed the Fontana hilton in a light rain. It rained off and on all day sometimes quite heavy. 4 of the hikers claimed to have waterproof hiking shoes. At the end of the day we all reassembled at Spence Field shelter. 100% of us had wet shoes and socks. It’s a marketing myth. They can make waterproof boots that a hunter can wear setting in his tree stand all day in the rain and keep him dry…but he ain’t hikin. Try hiking in rubber hip boots. You might stay sort of dry for an hour. At the end of the day your feet will be wet.

1 Like

I had my gore-tex leather boots for seven years, and it never let in any water during hiking, even when I tent-camped and hiked every day for ten days in heavy summer storms, for several years. So they do exist, you just have to find the right one. But it’s true that when these get worn out and the stitches get damaged they can lose their “waterproofness”.h

1 Like

Waterproofing your boots is an absolute must. If your feet get wet you can develop jungle rot , or athlete’s feet this is not conducive to a good hike. So I say yes waterproof your boots you will be glad you did have a great hike .Stay as dry as you can.

1 Like

Thank you. I appreciate the info!

I would advise caution, people often mean different thing when they say waterproof. Since a straight waterproof boot will soak you feet from sweat in only a few miles – without any rain – usually hikers mean some sort of boot with a breathable membrane. The best breathable membranes tend to be somewhat fragile, and manufactures will make a trade-off with durability. Of course, it doesn’t matter how good your boots are if you step in a stream deeper than your shoe, or if you are hiking in wind-driven-rain. For that, a pair of gaiters will help keep out water. Gaiters will also keep out ticks, and decrease your chance of spreading noxious weeds.
I wear gore-tex lined boots for most of the year, but in the summer I prefer a lightweight trail runner that will dry out overnight.

1 Like