Weather in september?

imported

I’m looking to start the LT at the end of August an finish the end of September. I was wondering what the nighttime temps usually are. I’ve got a 30* down bag and would prefer not to buy a new one, or to have to buy a new insulating layer. Any info would be helpful!

Bergen

I’ve hiked the LT twice - both times in September. (which BTW is my favorite month to hike in New England: no bug, Fall foliage & perfect hiking temps)

Nighttime temps can vary considerably over the course of the month - anywhere from the 70’s to below freezing. I think you will be fine with the 30* bag - just make sure to put on extra clothes on the frigid nights (which should be far and few between).

Also, there a number of warming huts along the trail at many of the ski areas where you could stay if its exceptionally cold. Bromley, Sugarbush, Mad River Gled, & Smuggler’s notch all have warming huts that hikers can use on the summits of their mountains. Besides these huts, the GMC has a bunch of ‘lodges’& enclosed cabins along the trail as well (for a small fee). So… you have a bunch of options in case you run into unseasonably cold temps & your 30* bag should be just fine otherwise.

Happpy Trails!

freebird

I walked southbound starting mid sept. with a wm megalite. I had a silk liner and used it for warmth a few times. No big deal. But again, southbound.

john

thats enough to convince me not to buy another 200+ dollar sleeping bag! thanks for the info, i’m sure i’ll be back for more

Bergen

Bergen - I thrued the Long in September '03 and froze. It was really wet and really cold for the final 200 miles of the trip. I guess my point is, you just never know what you’re going to get in the N.E. in the fall. That being said, save the bucks and go with your current bag. Just don’t forget that you can sleep in your rain gear, extra clothes, even your hiking gear if necessary to pump up the insulation on the really chilly nights. Enjoy your trip and happy trails.

Matt

I think I might get a new insulating layer for cold nights that’s a little lighter than my current one and go with my current 30 bag.

Bergen

Think there will be plenty of water along trail this late summer, as it has rained twice in New England this summer, once for forty-two days, and again for twenty-seven days. Slick rock makes longer days with less miles…I’m jealous.

fishngame