Welcome, please, introduce yourself

Welcome - as we build out our community please take a moment to introduce yourself. :grinning:

2 Likes

A retired engineer that moved very near the AT. How could I not take advantage while Iā€™m here! :goal_net:

2 Likes

Hi. Iā€™m Hummingbird Ellie. Coming from California to hike the trail in 2018ā€¦ Looking forward to meeting you out there!

2 Likes

Hi Hummingbird - welcome! I take it this is your journal: http://www.trailjournals.com/hummingbird, looks like youā€™ve been planning things for a while.

My mom still gets out of the AT every year. She completed a section hike of the trail in 2003 - http://www.trailjournals.com/journal/1293 - then started section hiking it again!

Thatā€™s inspiring! I sure hope that no more accidents keeps me from starting out again next year. Iā€™m rather far away to do section hikes. Flights are expensive and driving from California is a ā€œhikeā€ in itself. Having grown up near the trail in New England, makes the AT feel like ā€œhomeā€.

Just wanted to welcome you! Hopefully we can meet on the trail next year.

Scott

Thank you! Maybe we will pass on the trailā€¦ Have a good weekend.

Hi, Iā€™m Trebolita. I will be doing a section of the Long Trail with my 7-year-old daughter Coqui starting in two days. Iā€™m hoping to through hike it with her next summer, then some day doing the entire AT (maybe when I retire from teaching!). Happy trails to all!

1 Like

Oh, and my trail journal is www.trailjournals.com/trebolita

Awesome, Iā€™m trying to figured out the best age to get my 4 1/2 year old daughter into backpacking. Iā€™m hoping to take her on a overnight this summer, weā€™ll see.

Welcome Trebolita! Have a safe and wonderful trip!

Thank you! Tomorrow is the big day!

My daughter has been going with me since birth. Sometimes I get a babysitter because I want to try to do 20-25 mile days, and other times I take her with me and itā€™s slow going but so amazing to watch her eyes light up when she sees something that in her mind is really cool. I donā€™t think there is an age thatā€™s too young to get out there, just have to adjust for ability and be patient! :blush:

2 Likes

Hey All! Iā€™m Michael from Florida and will be thru-hiking with my oldest daughter in 2018. I have a cabin in NC and have started journaling and hiking on the AT in anticipation of my hike. This is ā€˜Numero Unoā€™ on the old bucket list-ready to get it on.

1 Like

Greetings All,
I am Bionic Man! Hiked 860 miles (40%) of AT this season before my feet gave out to acute tendonitis. Evaluating if I return next season(s) to complete, Iā€™m a retired civil engineer with careers in the Navy and in private consulting. My journal at: trailjournal,com/bionicman

Welcome ā€œthemountainsarecalliā€ and ā€œBionic Man!ā€ Glad to have you on board!

Hi, Iā€™m from northern Wisconsin and will be doing a flip-flop thru-hike of the Appalachian next year. By the end of this year I will have hiked the entire Superior Hiking Trail as part of my training for next year. Thanks for the add!

1 Like

Hey Fleischman! Welcome! My kids were born in Green Bay. Iā€™ve done 5 Birkeā€™s and numerous bike races in the northern part of Wisconsin. I really miss it. Currently living near the northern end of Shenandoah National Park. The mountains here are definitely not like anything there! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Hi! Iā€™m retired after 31yrs in the US Army - why hiking buddies called me ā€œGIā€ Joe. Iā€™m doing the AT flip-flop (started at Harperā€™s Ferry on the 1st of Apr, and summitted Katahdin on July 7th). Decided to finish Vermontā€™s Long Trail before heading south. Just finished the LT at journeys end yesterday! Will be headed south soon

1 Like
made this a banner . It will appear at the top of every page until it is dismissed by the user. #20