Western states Trail?

imported

My brother would like to hike the western States trail from tahoe to Auburn. I don’t know anything about this trail aside from the annual race they run on it.

My concern is that it will be filled with Mountain bikers, not have enough campsites and water or a decent place to resupply near the halfway point.

Does anyone have any experience with this trail?

Thanks

jalan jalan

The American DIscovery Trail follows much of the Western States from Squaw to Auburn.

The ADT follows the old trail from Emmigrant Pass (aboe Squaw) to above Anderson Dam.

We didn’t follow the Western States across the river at Driver’s Flat. I hear the river crossing is pretty dangerous. They string cables for the Western States and have people helping runners across the river.

At the top of Drivers Flat the ADT follows a bike trail for several miles. We saw a few bikes, but not a problem.

I don’t remember having any problems with bikes on that part of the ADT. That doesn’t mean we didn’t see bikers, I just don’t remember many. It would take a serious mountain biker to ride some of the sections of that trail.

There is a map of the route at:
http://ws100.com/trailcourse/wstrail-detail.htm

Ken