What should I get for hiking?

Hey everyone, guys I am new to hiking, so If anybody have any advise about equipment i would appreciate that!

1 Like

Hi! Amber,
This is such a wide field and I’m sure you will get many replies. Your best bet would start doing some research online with various supply companies, like The North Face, Big Agnes, Sea to Summit, Osprey, Kelty, etc., etc.
Or check out some of the equipment list from other hikers and see if you can find some reviews.
You probably know, the Lighter the Better, since you’ll be carrying this stuff on your back.
I just recently replaced a 3 lb. sleeping bag for a 1 lb. 13 oz. They both have a temperature rating of 35 degrees F. I also swapped out a Big Agnes sleeping pad which weighed 1 lb. 5 oz. for a Therm-a-rest pad that weighs 12 oz.
You can always go to an outfitter and try on different equipment, most sales staff love to talk about their gear.
You may also find an outfitter that will rent equipment, that way you can try it out before investing a lot on money in stuff that doesn’t meet your satisfaction.
I hope some of this advise helps you in your equipment search. If there is anything that you need more specific information on, I’ll be glad to help out with that, if you reply before tomorrow May 20th, I’m leaving on a 2 month trip. Take care and enjoy your research, and I hope you have some awesome backpacking trips.
HAPPY TRAILS!!

Good morning Amber. I guess first question is what type of hiking are you wanting to get into ? Day hikes, short over night trips or your first Thru hike ?? I would say the first most important thing will be what you put on your feet. Get good socks and good shoes.

Toasted Toad :frog::frog:

Thank you for such a generous advise!

Thanks, yes, for my first hike!

Here is some great advice, it will help you with what ever your hiking needs are; http://appalachiantrail.org/home/google-ppc/what-to-bring-on-a-hike?gclid=CjwKCAjw_47YBRBxEiwAYuKdw9oRlJAB-21DdH83yObt5F0gPiNmMY4z4Rho77Vo_yT4UuPAe48r8hoCUOIQAvD_BwE

1 Like

Hello Amber…when you get on the trail, you will see so many hiking clothes, filtering preferences, tents, sleeping bags, etc. I have actually changed out a few items when I have seen other items that look like they work better and so I have made some positive changes to my backpack load.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I have kinda limited budget, so I am looking for the most useful and needed stuff.
Thanks

I understand the budget deal. You may already know this, if you purchase from REI, and your gear gets broken or it is just not the right item for you, you can return it, trade it, etc within a year of purchase.

1 Like

Thanks for that! This should be much better for me

What are some things you’re needing Amber? Me being a “Gear Head” I might have duplicate of what you’re looking for.

These items should be on your hiking checklist:

• Hiking backpack.
  • Weather-appropriate clothing (think moisture-wicking and layers)
  • Hiking boots or shoes.
  • Plenty of food.
  • Plenty of water.
  • Navigation tools such as a map and compass.
  • First-aid kit.
  • Knife or multi-tool.
  • BP Smartwatch, which is used to monitor your body temperature, blood pressure, heart rate, respiratory rate, etc. in real time
    If you want to know what to do to prepare before hiking, you can read this article:https://www.fitologywatch.com/blog/4-moves-to-help-you-strengthen-while-walking?st=

Well there are plenty of pro here hopefully you get the right answer