Which Guide Book to use for AT?

Greetings! About to buy a guide book for the AT to plan my mileage and mail drops. Which one is more useful, the ATC data book or the AWOL guide? Or is there an even better one out there that comes highly recommended? I’m a SOBO and am leaving June 28, 2018. Thanks from Kwai

My preference Grasshopper is the ATC “Data Book” and their “THru-Hiker’s Companion”. The Companion, I tear sections out of that I’m hiking through and send the rest a head in a “Bounce Box”.

Thanks for your reply gorpgobbler! Tough choice for a first time AT hiker, and I want to make sure I order soon so I have a chance to read up before planning too much. Happy trails.

You are very welcome Grasshopper. I heard a Trail Angel when I was on the AT in 2015 refer to AWOL’s book as “AWOL"S BOOK of LIES”, so take it for what it’s worth, I’ve never used his book so I can pass judgement on it.

I’ve read of others who share the opinion that they had challenges with that guide. I appreciate your input.

One of the problems, unless things have changed, is that the Thru hikers companion is written for North bounders so it’s more difficult to follow as a day to day guide. By this I mean that page one Springer Mountain and the last page is Baxter State Park. And yes you can figure out what’s coming next it’s still a pain in the butt. I don’t know if AWOL is also written for SOBO’s the one I had was not. The AT data book is written for Southbounders. The data book is a small light weigh quick reference guide and lacks in depth coverage. Everyone who uses the AWOL will like it and few ever have anything negative to say about it. The new and improved thru hiker companion is just as good and just as updated.

Thanks for replying and giving me some more to think about :slight_smile:

Not a problem, glad I could help.

There are advantages and disadvantage of each guidebook. I got a hold of as many as I could, typed out what interested me, and stuffed the printouts into my mail drops. I used maps for day-to-day navigation and planning.

I should do that with my “Sheltowee Trace” guide book, a lot of unneeded information. If I don’t get it done before I leave, I’ll just go by the maps.