Why is Wintturri Shelter called Wintturri Shelter? Actually Wintturi

Hi, everyone. I’m actually not a hiker (anymore); I’m a historian. At the moment I’m trying to account for all 1000 members of a WWII Omaha Beach mission I’ve been studying for 20 years - trying to locate their gravesites so I can (A) correct the Army and Navy’s horrendous name spelling, and (B) gather what memories I can about them from living family, before everyone who knew them personally is also gone. It’s been a remarkable strategy until I went to findagrave.com to look up Private Maurice Parker Wintturri of Massachusetts, who was on this mission. He wasn’t there. In fact, NOBODY with that surname is there. How weird is that?

So I looked him up on familysearch.com. He wasn’t there. In fact… NOBODY with that surname is there either! What’s going on here? Somebody else had to have this name. He had an enlistment record the Army wrote. Did they spell this one wrong too? So I did a Google search. Guess what’s the only other reference to Wintturri-anything on Google?

So I’m dying to know. Did anyone else ever ask who or what Wintturri Shelter is named after? :thinking::face_with_raised_eyebrow:

So wouldn’t you know it, Wintturi Shelter is named for the very WWII veteran I was trying to find. I’ve appended the correct spelling of his name to the thread title so anyone searching for it correctly will find it too. Here’s an article a new friend sent me:

https://gmcburlington.org/wintturi-shelter-1st/

Anyone curious about his D-Day mission is welcome to email me any time: john_antkowiak at yahoo.

According to the “Green Mountain Club” (www.greenmountainclub.org) Mauri Winturri, a GMC maintainer for a portion of the AT and for whom “Winturri Shelter” was named.

Hi there :slight_smile: Thanks for your reply. The green Mountain Club article linked above has his picture and mentions that he was “a veritable trail-blazing, water-bar-building, shrub-clearing, blowdown-cutting workhorse.” Those skills also made him an invaluable member of the 2nd Engineer Combat Battalion, clearing minefields and roadblocks, dealing with drainage woes, and building roads and bridges to get the 2nd Infantry Division across France and over the winter mountains into Germany, then down into Czechoslovakia where they ended the war. Cheers!

What incredible information you have for this gentleman. You are an amazing Historian.
Thanks for the info.