Winter short backpacking trips

imported

We will be in tucson the last week in jan 2012. Are there any areas on the trail near Tucson that we could do a 2 or 3 day backpack. My husband and I like to go light weight and long days. Free and EZGoing PCT 2008

sharon

If your up to a nice snowy challenge, go over Mt. Lemmon starting from the north side, and walk south on the AZT. It was swicket last january when I went over. Snow pretty much the whole way, but still grippy enough. There were hoof prints from cows to pack down alot of it. Plus when you get to Summerhaven at the top, you could take a break and do some downhill skiing, stay in a cabin and eat pizza, or just get water and keep walking. Beautiful spot and a great hike for people who went over the sierra on a snowy year. On the way out you could exit through Sabino Canyon, a popular state park for Tucsonians. Buses from Sabino Canyon visitor center will connect you all over the city. Or you could head over the Rincons on the East side of Tucson. Start at the visitor center for the East unit of Saguaro Park, and take the trail up the ridge line to Mica mtn. from there you can loop south as the ridge bends south and climb the southern Rincon peak. Forgot the name. Then head back down the southern side of the Rincons back west and reconnect with the AZT, taking that south to Colassal Cave.

Guino

That southern Rincon peak is called Rincon Peak. Catchy, eh?

We’re getting very warm temperatures these days, melting a lot of the heavy early snows we had this season, but it’s still way to early to tell how much snow you’ll have if you try the above trip. The Catalina one is a pretty route though if you take it.

markv

If you want to stay off the high peaks near town and hike lower country farther away, think about Patagonia to the Gabe Zimmerman TH (about 60 miles) or Collosal Cave (about 15 more miles). Or Oracle to Kearny (about 60 miles) or Picketpost (another 35 miles). These will mean much more difficult vehicle shuttles.

Garlic

Actually, the southern Rincon Peak is called Wrong Mountain. But somehow I don’t think that’s what Guino meant.

Another trip idea, more casual but possibly very memorable, would be to hike the Arizona Trail from Gordon H / Prison Camp trailhead along the Catalina Hwy westward to Romero Pass. Then take Romero Canyon Trail down to Catalina State Park and Hwy 77 / Oracle Rd. Most of the time this would be a snow-free expedition, as it’s predominantly in the upper Sonoran life zone. Don’t miss Hutch’s Pool and potential camping along Sabino Creek, somewhat shy of the half-way point.

The idea being: have fun, soak in the views and desert sunshine, and maybe save the long days for, well, longer days!

blisterfree

Guino, The trail you’re talking to Mica peak is Tanque Verdge Ridge Trail. You’ll have to go through the Park to get to the TH there. Keep in mind Saguaro National Park requires backcountry hiking permits if you plan to spend the night, that can be purchased at the visitor center.

Hope you enjoy whichever hike you decide to do Sharon

JessyJ